bonds

The corridor leading up to the next ascending stairway seemed to lengthen with each minuscule step Harry took, and it wasn't long before he needed to sit, back facing the wall. It may have been a ghost, but the chilly air was missing, leading him to believe that this area of the castle was always particularly thin-walled. But that couldn't exactly be possible. The gray stone proved otherwise. The peculiar sound coming from behind said wall was familiar. Hogwarts did have several hidden cupboards and hiding spots, concealed by clever charms. The sound could have come from a person inside. A person sobbing inside. "Hello?" Harry called out to the student encased inside.

      "Who's there?" The voice inside replied defensively.

      "Harry Potter." He answered confidently.

      "Just leave." It scoffed and spat, reminding him ever so strongly of someone.

      "Malfoy, open the door." Harry sighed. 

      "Why should I?"

      "Alohomora." A hidden doorway snapped open. 

      "Close it behind you." The other boy ordered, defeated. Draco's pallid, sculpted features sported bloodshot bags and blush.

      "What's happened to you?" Draco wiped his nose with his sleeve, leaving a shine where he did so. 

      "Nothing, just the fact that my father's in Azkaban and I no longer have a purpose in life." It had been a while since he'd seen him cry like this. Without any further thought, Harry wrapped his arms around and held him close. He rested his head on his shoulder, but suddenly pulled away. He could tell he wasn't used to these displays of friendship.

      "Better?"

      "For now."

      "I never realized how much you let on," Harry admitted, burdened by his realization.

      "Be my good friend," Draco's approach was unsharpened as his for this matter.

      "I'll try,"

      "Promise?"

      "Promise." He repeated.

.:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:. 

      It was a while after student curfew, but Harry paid no mind. Had it have been his sleep-deprived mind, he didn't know, but he did know that he had gained an ally. But in Muggle school, he'd earned that negative-one plus one creates no additional nits. Ginny Weasley napped on the common room sofa, peaceful and snoring artificially. Things Harry would never know could have been on her mind. The once saccharine young girl with a crush revealed her nastier side a little while ago. 

      She could have been planning something tame, like N.E.W.T.S results. Maybe even an epic series of transfigurations to end up with him. She could be brooding about how Harry could jump to such egotistical conclusions. Harry spread over a maroon quilt on her sleeping form and wished her goodnight. The moonlight reflected over white eyes in his peripheral vision.