christmas

It started to snow even harder by the time Harry, Draco, Ron, and Hermione had approached the front door, Ginny and Luna trailing closely behind. How the Burrow would have room for two knew guests, Harry didn't know, but he was wary of what may happen once Molly Weasley opened the door. By the time she did, it wasn't as if anything had changed. "Welcome in," she greeted, kissing her youngest two children. 

      The house was beautifully decorated, the fire crackling softly with hats and scarves knitting themselves and landing into piles upon piles of jumpers. Pots and pans scrubbed daintily in the basin with a soup stewing next to it. Six newly made jumpers rested in Mrs. Weasley's arms as she hastily passed them out. She handed the mint 'G' to Ginny, the maroon 'R' to Ron (much to his distaste), the yellow 'H' to Hermione, "This blue 'L' for you, Luna, welcome to the family." She gave it to her warmly. "Harry, you can have this gold one." She hugged him sweetly. 

      Draco bushed shyly, clutching his bag. "Of course, welcome to our family, Draco." The tone of Mrs. Weasley's voice did not change. It remained friendly and welcoming. The jumper was emerald and silver, complementing his eyes perfectly.

      "Thank you,"

.:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:.

      It had seemed that Draco had gotten used to the environment as Harry felt his legs loosen up on his. A loud crack was audible as George apparated his way between Ron and Hermione, those whom he'd thought were getting 'a little too cozy' by his standards. Harry was early to notice the puffy red bags under his eyes, but kept it to himself. By then, everyone stood up to move toward the Christmas feast.

      Molly Weasley was an incredible cook as most guests knew, but nobody truly realized how impactful her cooking was until Draco Malfoy was seen licking his lips upon gazing at the food. The main course was a vibrant beef stew surrounded by mountains of potatoes. Expertly marinated potatoes. A smaller tray of vegetable fixings sat next to it, making the dish more ornate and extravagant. The color gained from laughing and chatting by the fireplace saturated every bite as Harry devoured the meal like a maniac. At first, Draco attempted to eat daintily and in coordination, but this failed as he was now eating like a depraved Chimaera. Fleur fed Bill forkfuls of beef as she watched the pair with an expression of awe and disgust. 

      Ginny broke the decorum by hitting her goblet with a spoon with a loud clang  causing everybody to go silent. "Luna and I have got something to say." Intrigued, Harry sat a little straighter.

      "We're together now," Luna visibly grabbed Ginny's hand.

      "What if-"

      "Perce, we'll deal with it." Ginny smiled softly as everyone knew what she was referring to. "I can take it this time."

      "That's wonderful!" Mrs. Weasley brought out a covered display. "I think it calls for some desert,"

      The cake was snow white with crystalline sugar gems dotted onto the icing which was so thick it landed on the eater's nose upon biting in. Draco's back arched as he faced Molly. "Madam," he began. "You're a wonderful cook. Thank you for the meal." The red-haired woman smiled in return. 

      "You can call me Mrs. Weasley, Draco, sweetie." 

      "Thank you for taking me in and accepting me given all the things I've said." He paused. "I'm sorry,"

      "If Harry loves you, I make it my priority to have you feel welcome." With the flick of a wand, the dishes washed themselves again. "Bed, all of you!"

.:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:.

      "I feel safe here, you know?" Harry gazed up at the ceiling of the bedroom that had once belonged to Charlie Weasley. "She' like my mum, Mrs. Weasley." 

      "I can see why you feel that way. She's inspiringly competent." Draco snuggled in closer to Harry's chest. "I feel safe here, too." Harry held him close as he adjusted the heavy blanket on top of them, legs intertwined. 

      "Merry Christmas," Harry whispered as vines of mistletoe formed out of the mist, urging him to touch lips one last time before morning.