colors

Harry awoke suddenly to a burning sensation on his arm. It tingled softly as he noticed the golden patch swirling and pulsing with interior light. He beamed with pure excitement as he made his way down to the common room to sit on his favorite cushy armchair by the fire. "Hermione, Ron-" His loud voice caused a few heads to turn, but that caused no problems. Hyped up, Ron dropped the scarf he was putting on to stare with his jaw dropped.

"So it's finally here," He tugged at Hermione's sleeve.

"That's amazing, Harry!" She hugged him tightly. "Ron and I've got matching ones, actually." She gulped. "Didn't mean to make that about me, sorry."

"No problem, congratulations on it!" Harry showed his mark. "The colors on mine haven't fully spread out yet," He explained. Ron seemed afraid.

"What is it?"

"Ginny." Harry's senses froze in time as dread washed over him like icy water. He covered his wrist hastily.

"Ginny," and just like that, her hair whipped around gracefully as she tore through to lean on Harry's legs.

"Thought I heard my name. S'there something I should know?" Her hands folded in front of her.

"No, I just needed your company for a while," he made a chaste kiss on her cheek. Looking away, Ron stood up to get his worn bag and gestured at everyone to get ready for class.

.:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:.

Professor Flitwick hurried in preparing the lesson, sweat dripping down his aged skin as his stack of books swayed uneasily. Harry had lost track of what charm they were supposed to be learning as he stole a glance at the boy sitting to his front. Draco put down his quills and readied his wand to practice his the movements required for the spell to work. Lazily, he raised the dark wood, letting the loose, draping sleeve on his arm fall back. His mark was gold with curved lines and a small star in the center. Oddly enough, it bore an uncanny resemblance to his own mark.

Leaning forward to confirm that what he saw was indeed real, Harry sent several quills and folders flying out in front. Draco and several others looked away from their papers, startled. "Mr. Malfoy."" Flitwick redirected his attention from his essay. "Would you do us all a favor and help Potter with his mess?""

"Yes, sir." Several classmates shot Harry sympathetic looks as they scurried to sort out the mini-disaster. "Couldn't take your eyes off me, could you?" Draco scoffed proudly. "Were you jealous?" Somehow the arrogant boy needed reassurance of this.

"Well, maybe," Harry picked up a file. "It was to compare this." He drew up his cuff to show him his soul mark. Draco's pupils dilated with an unreadable expression. A small, shy blush creeped onto his otherwise gauntly pale face. "No," he whispered as he mimicked his motion with his own clothes. Harry used this as an opportunity to take a closer look.

"So it was real," his face went hot, heart jumping in untainted shock.

"Who're we telling?" Draco asked bluntly. Harry could come up with a couple folks off the top of his head.

"I'm telling Ron and Hermione, that's a given. Go ahead and tell your little Slytherin posse. I could care less."

"No, no. They're not exactly trustworthy." What he thought the other boy had wrapped around his little finger seemed to have been an illusion. "What about your girlfriend? Weaslette, right?"

"Of course not."

"You have to tell her at some point."

"I know," a lump formed. "And I dread that day."

.:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:..:.

"Just shut it, you two." Harry's head was in his hands. Aggravated and afraid, he'd lashed out easily the rest of the evening, sending his Quidditch team into a fit earlier ("Lay off, would you?"). The cushy armchair provided no relief. "I know Draco bloody Malfoy is my god-damned soulmate. I know I'm breaking my girlfriend's heart. I know I can't keep this to myself!"

"What you need to know is that we're here to help. Both of us." Hermione held his hand and gave it a squeeze, causing his anger to erode.

"I'm sorry I raised my voice."

"It's okay. I know this is hard."

"I know I did say before that Ginny's my sister and I'd hurt you if you hurt her-" Ron added. "But if she hurts you first in this, I'll not hesitate to give her a piece of my mind." He chuckled slightly, hints of nervousness popping out.

"Well, that's quite a lot of hurt, then." Hermione giggled softly.