Deathly Fighting

Saphire:

"Saphire, I'm so glad your back" Jasmine greeted me as I returned to the nursery. A warm, milky scent greeted me as well.

"I'm glad to be back" I replied. I hurried in out of the cold to lay by my pups. While away I missed them terribly, even if it was for only maybe a day and a halfm, or less. I didn't care about time, I only cared about my pups like any good mother-wolf would. I sniffed them, but noticed five of them smelled a bit sour.

"Thank you Sweet Fur for taking care of them" I thanked her. I was truly greatfull she took care of them.

"No probablem, I'm glad your okay" she said. I nodded my head and moved my pups back.  Four of them whimpered as they pressed closed to me for warmth. I began to wash my pups and licked their backs. Perhaps the sour scent was because they needed to be cleaned. Still the sour scent persisted and I lay down wondering if I should take them to see Berry.

"How is your side, the injury better?" Makita asked me.

"It's better; although, the fur is still pretty patchy and the skin is sore" I admited.

"Aw, I hope you feel better" she said, and gave me a friendly smile. She scratched her ear and lay back down on her side. I fell asleep beside my pups in the warm den, but not long later I woke up to  hear coughing. It was the five pups coughing.

"Makita" I called to the pregnant wolf that lay awake.

"Yes Saphire" she replied.

"I think they're sick" I replied. 

"I and the others noticed they smelled funny, but we just thought it was because they smelled like another mother-wolf. Are you sure?" she asked me. Her eyes were full of concern and she stood up.

"Lets go see Berry" she told me. We carefully picked up all five. I had one on my back, and two by the scruff while she carried two also by the scruff. We raced through the snow with the sick pups while three of the pups remained huddled up for warmth in the nursery den. 

"Berry" I murmmered softly once I gently set the pups down.

"Berry!" I repeated myself a bit louder. I nudged the sleeing medicine wolf.

"huh? oh, Saphire what's wrong. Is your side giving you trouble?" she asked.

"No, I think my pups are sick" I told her. She frowned,

"Are you sure t-" she began, when her nose twitched. She stood up, and moved towards the pups. Berry bent over and sniffed the whimpering pups, and frowned. 

"Yes, they're sick. Please go back to the nursery, and get your rest, I'll take care of them. We have plenty of wolf-mint for green cough" Berry told me. I gasped,

"Green cough! no let me stay and take care of them" I protested, but deep down I knew berry wouldn't let neither Makita, nor I help.

"It's simple, all we can do is give them herbs... and hope they recover" she said, the last part was quiet. Makita and I reluctantly left the den, and went back to the nursery.

Berry:

I pressed a wettened piece of moss on the pups heads. 'Surely they'll recover. These pups are a few months old, they'll recover' I told myself. Surely there was nothing to worry about, but after waiting a while their fever didn't go down. I licked the smallest pup, and forced it to swallow the wolf-mint I'd given it earlier. It swallowed finally and replied with a whimper. I sighed and lay down beside the sick pups to keep them warm. 'I can't let them die, it would crush Saphire, I'll do anything to keep them alive' I told myself. I lay down and fell asleep, sure they would be just fine. Outside it was just begining to snow on the icy ground that held very little snow. In only a few hours it would be heavily covered in snow.