Cold Cough

Brownie:

I sat in the midst of the camp on top of a rock beside Viper. Since becoming alpha and luna of this pack together things had changed. I watched rogue wolves walk around the camp. They were either tearing apart the carcass of a deer, or were challenging each other for dominence. It was amusing to watch a couple of wolves or maybe four wolves at once take each other on. I lept down from my throne and sniffed the air. It smelled of blood, and I sensed a warm draft coming in. Some how or some way we couldn't travel across the ice, but as soon as it melts we'll be there. 

"And I'll be the one to tear apart Sapphire, limb from limb" I growled furiously.

"Now, now don't become so worked up" Viper told me. He jumped down from the high stone he sat on and brushed his fur against mine. A couple wolves dashed by, the wolf in front was bleeding. My eyes widened and my fur stood on end. Within seconds other wolves around the camp were on thier paws chasing after the injured bleeding wolf. The scent of its blood was like a call and we responded like sharks to an injured seal. I was first to lunge, my teeth snipped its back leg. It howled and cried out in pain, but continued running. My back straightend out and I forced myself to run faster. My heart was pounding, I was panting, and I lunged. This time my teeth tore into its neck. We were on the wolf in seconds, lapping up blood and reknewing our strength. I and Viper sat on thrones, we feasted on blood even if it meant killing our own pack members. This is what we had become

Jinx:

After a nights rest I went with Buckeye north of the main camp.

"I want to build another nursery up here, away from the river" I told him.

"Why's that?" Buckeye asked.

"When they attack I don't want the nursing mothers so close to battle" I told him. There was a small hill, not large, but it was steep and dipped into the land perfectly. The rocks aroudn it would break the wind well, too, and it would be near impossible for a fox or a bear to break in. As we dug I could feel my nails start to wear down, so we took breaks periodically. We dug straight into the earth before moving out wards so it the inside was shapped like an oval. 'I wonder how big this pack could become. Poppy and Buckeye obviously love each other, same as Venom and Ryder, and then there's the wolves from WillowGrass' I thought. I smiled and felt more confident about my packs survival. We ran over to the nursery to give the mother wolves the news about the den.

"Should we be moving out pups though?" Sweet Fur asked.

"It's awefully cold" Jasmine added. They did have a point, but so did we.

"I suppose you right, but we need to move you and the pups away from the river. It can't be long till we engage in battle, I don't want you in danger" Rebel told his mate. Jasmie sniffed her pups; their backs were covered with a short patchy coat.

"I suppose your right, but lets do this quickly and orderly" Sweet Fur said. Buckeye, Buckeye, Razzor, Monty, and I began racing  back and forth with pups. Buckeye stayed in the new den with Monty to keep the pups warm whil we ran back to bring more. Jasmine's two pups, Sweet Fur's one, and two of Sapphires pups were brought over. All together we brought Sapphires pups over. The pups shivered in the unfamiliar den and they whinned to express their displeasure.

"The den should be sealed up as beast as it can, bring some moss" I ordered. Buckeye nodded his head and rushed to Berry's den to look for moss that had  been stored in her storage. He returned quickly with bundles of moss. Cracks between rocks were sealed off. After ensuring that the new den would be warm and safe I decided to return to the medicine den. My paws began to sting from running on the ice and snow, but I ignored the bitter pain. I dashed around a few trees that stood through the cold snow and slowed down when I reached Berry's den.

"Sapphire?" I murmmered. Her eyes fluttered open, a dull and sleepy expression hung over her.

"She's awake, shall probably be back on her feet soon" Berry said, she trotted out of the storage in the back of her den. Her fur smelled of fresh herbs ranging from a semi-sweet to a bitter smell. I watched her spread an ointment made from the herbs onto Sapphire's side which was healing quicker than I expected. I leaned down and pressed my nose to Sapphire's.

"Jinx?" she murmmered.

"I'm here, I'm here with you" I replied softly. I felt her lick my muzzle lovingly. I lifted my head up to speak.

"We moved the nursery to a safer location" I told both Berry and Sapphire. My mate weakly nodded her head, "I like that idea" she whispered.

"Just where did you move the den?" Berry asked, her eyes narrowed.

"Due west from here, just a little distance from her and the center of the camp. I wanted to move the mothers and pups away from the river" I said, leaving out the other reason concerning the rogues.

"Good, I don't want the them near the battle field" Sapphire said, "When the rogue's attack" Sapphire  todl me.

"I don't want you worrying about that" I said quickly. I frowned, and brought my eyes level to Sapphires. A small smile spread on her face,

"I'm not worried, but it's not like I don't know they are a threat. I know they're going to attack eventually. I'm glad the mothers and pups have been moved to a safer place" Sapphire said. She began to move, and stood up.

"Sapphire, I don't think you should be up so soon" Berry said, her voice holding a thin line of authority.

"But I do, and I want to see my pups" Sapphrie said as she stretched. I noticed she winced in pain for a momment, but quickly recomposed herself.

"Thank you so much Berry. Your a great medicine wolf, and Jinx" she began. Sapphire bowed her head, "Thanks for being a great father to our pups" she added before leaving the medicine den. I watched her trott away  before begining to run to the new den, following her pups scent.

"She's something else" Berry chuckled. I laughed as well, 'My mate sure is stubborn' I thought. 

"Well I'm going to go take a look at the pups" Berry informed me, "I want to make sure they're allright" she added. Berry grabbed a bundle of herbs and left the den as well. I left her den and trotted back to mine. I scratched the ground and lay down finaly. I felt relaxed, knowing surely what I done was a good idea to move the pups.