Struggling to Live by the Merciless

Sapphire:

Ryder, Buckeye, and Jinx came trotted back, each carrying a small snowshoe hare. Ryder was first to drop his catch and speak.

"There were literaly only ten elk, and we weren't able to catch a single elk" Ryder said with his head bent low.

"Why so few?" asked Venom. This was strange, usualy there were too many elk to count.

"I think it's because the elk usualy come to their winter field through a space between us and the moonshire territory. Because the moonshires have expaned their territory and the rogue wolves have moved in nearby they're cutting off the elks route" Jinx explained.

"Perhaps we should expand our territory" I suggested.

"Perhaps, or we could fish if we could break the ice" Poppy said.

"Seems a little dangerous because one could fall in" Berry said.

"If it comes down to it we will" Jinx said. Everyone at their own hare. It was just enough to fill us for now, but small prey doesn't last long. The cold draft blew in from the east bringing the scent of nearby rogues.

"There's intruders!" Jin growled. Instanty Jinx, Ryder, and Venom rushed out. I wanted to go along with Jinx, but Berry held me back.

"Not while your with pups" Berry reminded me.

"We should focus on securing the border. We trotted along near the border. I sniffed the air for rogue wolves, but could detect none. My fur stood on end from my anxiousness. 

"Berry what if they're in battle right now, what if they don't make it alive?" I blurted out. 

"They'll be fine, no need to worry yourself" Berry told me. I nodded my head, 'what was I thinking of course they were going to be fine'. I tripped over something... no something knocked me down.

"Sapphire!" Berry and Poppy called my name. Buckeye growled at the wolves about to attack.

"Move or we kill her" a small brown wolf growled.

"Nice work, you'll be a fine beta one day" said the large red furred wolf.

"Get your filthy paws and muzzle away from our luna!" Berry growled. My body shook fearfully. 'If they kill me what will happen to my pups?' I wondered. Suddenly a smallish black wolf lept out of the bushes, his jaws snapping at the wolf holding me. 

"Are you okay luna?" asked Ryder. 

"Yes I'm fine thank you" I whimpered quietly. My neck was hurting a lot, but I still held a deffensive stance. 

"This isn't your fight stay out of this. Jinx and the others are handling some other rogues and moonshire wolves" Ryder told me.

"But-" I protested.

"No stay out" Berry snapped. A wolf lunged from behind Ryder, but was quickly pushed out of the way by Venom. 

"Jinx sent me as back up, good thing I came" Venom snarled. Poppy, Berry, Ryder, Venom, and Buckeye all lept to my defense. By the end they hadd the wolves running.

"Just wait, we will have revenge!" the snarled.

"Thank you guys, I just feel so proud to know I'm apart of such a strong pack" I cried. Everything just felt so emotional.

"Come on lets head back, Venom and Ryder check on Jinx" Berry said.

Jinx:

"and stay away or I'll rip the fur off your back" I growled.

"Looks like you had things taken care of" Ryder laughed.

"Just one rogue wolf thought she could take me, well she was wrong" I said smirking.

"You should hear Sapphire now" Ryder said grinning. 

"She's all emotional, so watch out" Venom added. 'Great... all I needed now was for an emotional mate... We hurried back after securing the border. Everything seemed okay.

"Jinx the rogues and moonshires are working together" Berry told me. 

"WHAT?" I growled.

"They attacked us together in a group" Poppy said comfirming what Berry said. If they were working together that meant we were probably up against at least fourteen to sixteen wolves against us seven, and since the rogues were involved it would be a merciless fight should war break out.