Danger

Jinx:

I felt my eyes water at the sight of the woudn in my mates side. My fur bristled in anger towards the bear and a whimper of sadness escaped my muzle. I sniffed Sapphires muzzle, her breathing was was shallow, but she was breathing! I lifted my head up towards the sky and howled back to the rest of the pack. By my mournfull howl they knew it was an emergency and Berry, Poppy, and Buckeye were here in no time.

"Oh my" Poppy whimpered. She pulled her ears back, "she isn't... you know?" she asked.

"No, but her wounds are very bad" Berry comfirmed. Poppy's black fur around her eyes became glossier with tears. She cried silently against the comforting Buckeye.

"We can't leave her hear. For one thing the bear needs to be tracked down" I stated.

"Right" Buckeye said. Poppy dashed away to tell the rest of the pack the news. With Buckeye, Poppy, and my efforts we picked Sapphire up, supported by two thick tree branches. Her legs dangled above the snow unmoving. Through the cold snow and ice, despite how tired our muscles felt we still carried her to the medicine den. Ryder, Venom, Monty, Makita, and Rebel were there. I found it interesting to see Rebel, Makita, and Monty at the site because they cared so much for Sapphire, though they'd recently met her.

"She just seems like a fine Luna of the pack, to see her like this breaks my heart" Rebel murmmered. Berry disappeared into the back of the medicine den and ermerged with a muzzle full of herbs.

"It's a good thing we stocked up on chervil, don't want her wounds to become infected" Berry said with her muzzle full. She made an ointment by chewing up chervil and cobnuts and smeared it onto Saphire's woudns. She whimpered at the touch on the raw open wounds. I bent down and licked her muzzle, trying to comfort my injured mate. Berry then wrapped cobwebs around her wounds to keep the ointment on and to keep it from bleeding.

"She'll need her rest, so from here on there's not much we can do besides make sure the wound doesn't become infected" Berry told us. She stayed behind and we cleared out of the den. I trotted away from them, towards the river. A warm draft blew in from the east. I noticed the frozen river had a large crack in it. Any day now the river would crack. An image flashed in my mine, the wolves beaneath the ice.

"And then they'll attack with no holding back" I murmmered quietly. The image of the ice cracking and them jumping over towards us filled my mind. I shuddered and backed away from the river. I tucked my tail low and pulled my ears back in fear. Any day now, and they'd attack. Sapphire is injured, and Ryders back leg is still a bit sore. There's Venom, Poppy, Buckeye, Rebel, Razzor, Matrix, and Monty that can fight. If the ice holds long enough then perhaps Ryder can fight, but it depends on the ice holding up. I sighed and returned to camp.

Berry:

I fell asleep near the entrance of the den, my body blocking most of the cold air coming into the medicine den which wasn't to bad. My ears twitched in my sleep, hearing Jinx return. I rolled over in my sleep, feeling more at ease knowing everyone else was returning to their dens. I felt my body relax more... my mind slipping into a dream...

DREAM:

I walked into a dense fog.

"Where am I?" I murmmered as I kept walking. The fog began to glow bright blue and it moved around me. I stopped and watched it move to the sides, illuminating a pathway. I followed it until I walked up to a small pond simular to the one I visited when the packs went to the summer-spring den. In the pond I was looking at a face.

"Hello Berry" said the wolf on the other side, it was Luna.

"Luna" I greeted the old medicine wolf. I wagged my tail in happiness to see her.

"Something is troubling you?" Luna asked, able to easily guess that. I sighed and sat down, 

"Yes" I admitted, "our Luna is injured, and the day of battle is coming near I fear" I told her. 

"I see, you love your pack with all your heart don't you. It puts you at ease when they are well?" she asked. I nodded my head.

"But when they aren't, like Sapphire, you doubt yourself" Luna said. I frowned,

"No, I-I" I stuttered, "I don't know what you mean" I replied.

"You doubt yourself when your pack is in danger, is injured, and needs yourself. Am I right?" Luna asked, her voice as calm and as smooth as the snow outside.

"No, I do not doubt myself" I growled, my fur began to rise. I smacked her image in the pool with my paw causing it to become disorted and her face to disappear, but she came back. Her eyes were full of sadness. I turned my back to her, unable to face her.

"I do, I do doubt myself. I don't know what to do sometimes. I lack any fighting abiltity compared to Ryder or Venom" I admitted. I hung my head low, my ears twitched at the sound of water dripping and I felt a cold nose touch my shoulder. Luna had litteraly walked out of the pool and now stood before me.

"You shouldn't doubt yourself, your a better medicine wolf than you think" Luna told me.

"How so? I couldn't even heal Buckeye's eyes" I whimpered.

"Enough!" Luna snarled at me, "Take off Sapphires bandages" Luna ordered. The fog disappeared and we were in the medicine den. I looked from Sapphire to the wolf asleep by the dens entrance. It was me, I was standing outside of my body in this dream. Like Luna told me too, I took off Sapphires wounds. The gashes were healing well. A reddened skin replaced the raw wound. The soft new skin would strengthen and be covered with fur eventually.

"It was you who dressed her wounds, and you who kept Buckeye's eyes from becoming infected for so many years. You've taken care of your pack single-handedly for years. The other packs had multiple medicine wolves, sure they had better knowlegde of the herbs, but you still managed to keep your pack well compared to them. You are a great medicine wolf" Luna told me. I closed my eyes.

"Thanks Luna" I murmmered softly. She brushed her fur against me,

"Be at peace, be at rest Berry" Luna said. The dream faded and my eyes fluttered open. I was back in my own body. Sapphires bandages were off. I stood up and went into the back to grab some herbs to redress her wounds. Afterwards I left the den to stretch and I starred up at the starry sky. When the rogue wolves attack, I'll be there either healing wounds or fighting on the scene.