The Calm Side of The Storm

Berry:

Every storm, every great storm had a momment of peace. The calm part, the eye of the storm. We were in it. The back side of this storm was going to be bad. It hadn't snowed all night or day, but it would again soon. A long drawn out howl sounded a mile away. I picked up there herbs I'd savaged under frost and tucked them into my den. The pack trotted towards Jinx who stood in the clearing.

"It's been too long since a propper hunt" Jinx said.

Venom snorted, "Yes it has, rabbits and measily little squirells don't last long" she complained. No one could disagree with that.

"Time for an elk hunt!" Jinx howled. We howled along with him before dashing in a single file line. First Jinx, Ryder, Buckeye, Venom, and Poppy. I stayed behind though. I had to watch over the territory, our herbs, and Saphire. They disappeared into the distance while I headed to Saphire's den. Her pups should have opened their eyes, so no doubt they were probably running around.

Jinx:

My feet hit the snowy and icy ground with soft, dull thuds. I was panting hard, sniffing the air for wonderfull scents of elk. The scent hit my nose, and my stomach growled. I was hungry, near starving for something to eat. The elk herd lifted their heads high. 'To late for ambush, they've seen us' I thought. I barked loudly and swept my tail across the snow. Ryder snarled viciously and dashed ahead with lots of snow kicked up behind him. The rest of the pack spread out and we followed Ryder a distance away. Ryder chased the elk, testing each one for a weakness. 'Leaf-bare is old, the elk are old, there has to be a weak one' I thought praying to the Ice Lunars to listen. The moon shone brightly ahead. Ryder was chasing an elk down below when he suddenly changed directions and went for a large elk. Usualy the larger elk were stronger, not the ones we wanted to hunt. 'Ryder knows best, but...' I wondered whether to go in or not. He lunged for the Elks neck, and then I saw it. A cut, a bloody wound in the elks neck. Apparently some other wolf or predator had failed hunting it, and it had made it away with a major wound. My nose twitched. I couldn't smell blood though, just the icy air that stung my nose. I was about to give the signal to go in and help when something else happened. The elk fell forward tumbling to the ground onto Ryder! 

"Ryder!" Venom called to him, she dashed forward. My mind went blank for a momment before I came to my sense. I ran down to Ryder who lay squirming beneath elk. Venom was pushing against the elk with all her strength. The rest of us pushed and finaly it moved over. 

"Th-thanks" Ryder whimpered, his teeth chattering. Snow and blood was caked into his fur. Thank goodness the blood wasn't his own. Ryder lifted himself up, but the momment his back legs moved he fell to the ground whimpering.

"Ryder" Venom murmmered and brushed her fur against him. His tense body relaxed a bit, but he was still in great pain.

"We'll need to move you somehow" I said, "Berry will ned to look at your legs" I nodded to the rest of the pack that they could eat while I called to Berry for help. I ripped a chunk of meat off for myself and Ryder who was immobile and couldn't reach the carcass.

"Poor Ryder" Venom murmmered.

"I've never seen my sister this docile, this affectionate" Poppy whispered to me. I nodded my head in agreement. I chewed on the sweet, tangy meat happily. I was so hungry, so very greatfull to be full by the time I finished eating. I heard panting and a sweet and distinctive scent hit my nose. It wasn't like blueberries, which Berry smelled like. Before I could say anything she spoke, 

"Berry is watching the pups" Saphire told me. She stretched and wripped a chunk of meat to eat, and looked over at Ryder with great concern.

"We need to support his back legs" she told me, "If we put a stick under his lower body and have two wolves on either side life it, it'll keep his back legs up" she added. I nodded understandingly. I padded over to the carcass and put my jaws around one of the thickest, largest curved ribs of the elk. I twisted and it broke off. 

"Buckeye, I can hold the other side" Venom told him. Buckeye looked at her with understanding eyes. It was no secret that Venom and Ryder were meant for each other, they were true mates. Venom and I supported a side of the bone. We lifted it up, and Ryders back legs were off the ground. We walked home carrying his back legs, while Ryder walked with his front legs. Meanwhile Poppy howled to Berry to come eat. Once at the medicine den Ryder was set down gently. He was breathing hard, as we left. He'd be okay, I was sure of it. Not to mention he had Venom watching over him until Berry came back. I trotted to the den with Saphire. Inside the pups were sprawled out asleep. I had to admit they were very cute. They're our pups, alive and healthy. I lay inside with Saphire until she too, fell asleep. I raced back to the medicine den. Berry stood their looking at Ryders leg, gently nudging them with her nose.

"Is he okay?" Venom whimpered, her eyes were glossy and wet with tears. 

"Yes Ryder will be fine, but he's pulled a few muscles in his back legs. Any strain on them will make it worse" Berry told her.

"Oh thank goodness!" Venom exclaimed as she pressed her nose to Ryder lovingly. Berry trotted backwards toward me.

"Isn't he a lucky wolf" Berry joked.

"Oh yes. He'll be mad about being cooped up in here, but I'm sure he won't mind the attention from Venom" I whispered back. I looked at Ryder with a goofy, suggested, wolf grin. His eyes widened and flickered from me me to Venom before he returned the grin. I left them, so Berry could find the right herbs to give to Ryder. Ryder would be fine, just fine. We had plenty of herbs to go around to the pack and more. Venom would help out for Ryder's sake, and for sure she'd keep him in high spirits. I looked up at the cloudy sky. It was going to snow tonight for sure. The clouds were dark, and dense. Not a simple snow, but an icy blizzard. I trotted down to the river and starred at the ice. I rose up on my hind legs and hit the ice with my front paws. The force I exerted broke the ice and I bit out the ice inbetween my paws before lapping up some of the cold icy water. I trotted to Saphire's den. It was going to be cold, and I wanted to make sure the pups stayed warm. Despite the tension between the rogue's and moonshire wolves I wanted all our pups to survive the odds.