Waiting For Battle

Jinx:

I saw faces of many wolves laying just below the ice I stood on; there faces masks of rage. They appeared to be under water, just floating and their fur standing on hend in the icy water. The icr cracked, 

"No" I whispered; my breating became more heavily labored, my eyes darting back and forth from on crack in the ice to each new crack forming. 

"No!" I yelped. There was nothing to push off of, but the wolves lept out the water. 

"Jinx!" A voice barked.

I jumped up, fur bristling. I sighed. 

"Are you okay" the white fured wolf asked, her beautifull, carring blue eyes full of curiosity; Sapphire. 

"Its okay, it was only a dream" I told her. She brushed her fur against mine and licked my muzzle.  

"How are our pups?" I asked. 

"Alert and curious about the new world" She laughed. 

"We should take them out of the den" I told her. I had to talk her into it, but she agreed finally. We brought the weeks old pups out of the den and headed downhill. They bounced around and tumbled through the snow. Sapphire's body was tense and rigid with nervousness. I suppose It was only nature for her to be nervouse for her first liter of pups. I rolled around in the snow, scratching my back and rolled over. The pups were imitating me rolling in snow. I felt giddy and excited with joy as I watched the smal pups run, roll, and play. Beside me Sapphire growled savegly and barked a bark of warning. I'd been distracted by the pups playfullness, too distracted to notice the foul scent in the air. Sure enough a foul scent lingered in the frosty air; although, their was a sour scent of disease and sickness, but I ignored it. It was probably just the rogue wolves. I snarled at the rogues pacing along the edge of the icy river on the other side. Rather than fleeing they snarled challengingly. I began debating whether or not to run over and attack. 

"Jinx no, don't it wouldn't end well. Think of our pups" Sapphire reminded me. My fur lay flat again and I forced myself to calm down. The rogue wolf continued to pace along the riverbank; there eyes on me and the pups. I could feel and almost smell the bloodlust in the air. 

"Lets go Sapphire" I said, my voice thick with authority. The time by the river was short, but neither of us felt safe, and even the pups began to notice and cowered out of the rogues sight. We found ourselves backing away towards the camp. On the way back I warned Poppy to be warry as she was heading towards the river to drink water. 'That dream I had earlier, the ice cracking and those wolves attacking. What was going to happen when the Ice River cracked?' I wondered. Sapphire returned to the den with the pups to allow Nakita and Swee Fur a chance to leave the den for a while; meanwhile, I slipped into Berry's den to ask her a few questions. 'She's a great medicine wolf with a stronger connection to the Ice Lunar's that I. Perhaps she would know the correct meaning of my dream, or could ask the Ice Lunars for help' I thought. Though I began to wonder if the Ice Lunars, our wolf ancestors were watching over us still. I sighed, not even knowing the answer to that. Berry looked up from the herbs she was sorting through. We began discussing topics about the rogues. Both of us were apparently having the same dreams about the cracking ice and attacking wolves.

"I can't say what the dream means, but I do believe that there'll be a time when the dream becomes realitiy, and we must be ready then" Berry told me. As I left her den I noticed a slightly, just slightly sour scent in the air. It wasn't the foul scent of rougues, but more like the scent of sickness and disease. 'It's probably  best to ignore it, probably just the scent of rogues from a distance' I thought. Instead I decided to return to the nursery. As always it smelled milky, and was very warm inside. Nakita who still hadn't had her pups lay on her side asleeep, while Sweet Fur and Jasmine talked quietly as to not wake their own pups. Sweet Fur noticed me, her eyes full of wonder and worry.

"Where's Sapphire?" she whimpered. I frowned, my eyes flickering to where she usualy lay in the den. That spot was empty. I felt my fur rise; standing on end.

"I don't know, I'll go look for her" I told them. Before leaving the den I looked over the den. My mates pups were huddled up between Sweet Fur and Jasmine. They were one less worry for now, but now I had to go find my mate, Sapphire. 'Calm down Jinx, she probably went to go drink some water, or go see Poppy and Venom' I thought. I caught a wisp of Poppy's scent and headed towards her. Venoms scent reached me as well, she was talking to Poppy. 

"Poppy, Venom. Have you seen Sapphire?" I barked to them. They shook their heads, and Venom trotted towards me,

"How's Ryder, are his legs still causing him trouble?" she whimpered. I stiffled a laugh of amusment,

"No Venom, he's just fine. You should go see him, he'd appriciate that" I told her. Venom dashed away, following Ryders scent, and Poppy trailed along. I turned away from them, still trying to locate Sapphire's scent when a sour scent reached my nose. It wasn't foul like rogues, but sour like sickness and disease. I felt curious, but to go looking for a sick wolf seemed like a bad idea. I decided not to follow the scent and I turned in another direction.

"Go this way" an unrecognizable voice whispered. I whirled around snarling.

"This way- this way! This way!" multiple voices whispered at differnt tiems. The voices grew louder, and I couldn't get them out of my ears.

"Be quiet" snapped another voice, this voice was recognizable. I lifted my head up, looking at the starry sky. The stars themselves were moving, changing their patterns right before my very eyes. Finaly they stopped and I found myself looking at a constelation of a wolf.

"Go this way Jinx" whispered the recognizable voice, it was Luna. Her starry tail pointed east. I nodded my head in gratitude and watched her starry constelation disappear. I went in the direction she ordered me to go in; although, the direction was sending me towards the sour scent.

As I came closer there was a distinctive sweet scent intertwined with the sour scent that made me begin to run. I finally reached a sick wolf lying near a very small elk carcass. A bear hovered over the wolf and carcass, and it looked angry. The bear reared up on its hind legs, claws gleaming. 'This bear must have woken from hibernation' I realized the danger of the situation. In the wolf's defense I attacked the bear. Being still sleepy, though it was angry, it fled once I dug my sharp teeth into its back leg leaving a trail of blood behind it. I turned to the wolf with splotches of white and redish fur. Forgetting about scent I began to wonder why this wolf was on my territory until a sweet, distinctive scent reached my nose. It wasn't splotches of red fur, it was blood. To be more specific, it was my mates blood staining the snow.