Chapter 28

خفا بھی رہتے ہیں اور وفا بھی کرتے ہیں
اس طرح وہ اپنے پیار کو بیان بھی کرتے ہیں
جانے کیسی ناراضگی ہے اس کو ہم سے
پانا بھی نہیں چاہتے اور کھونے سے بھی ڈرتے ہیں
_______________________________________

Getting him to fall sleep wasn't simply a easy task as I imagined it to be. I couldn't comprehend what made him actually ask me to help him fall asleep.

This little guy of four years old that looked a lot like my Jaana never actually tried to have a conversation with me. Jahangir was afraid of me. This fact wasn't unknown to anyone.

It was proving to be difficult to make him see me as a someone soft hearted person added up with my intimidating personality. It didn't help much and I was actually very lost in this situation.

But to my surprise, Today this little guy was exhibiting bravery which was too much for his small body. The little guy that I thought was unable to speak actually demanded me to tell him a story after we were done with his daily duaas.

It was surprisingly delightful. The yellowish glow of dinasour lamp was illuminating his small chubby face. Those round chocolate brown eyes were still wide open, staring at the ceiling.

"Ankhe abhe tk q khule howe hai? (Why are your eyes still open?)"

I tried to keep my tone mild and soft but with the way that he blinked his small eyes. I could tell that my voice didn't came out as soft as I imagined it to.

"So jao.. (Sleep.)" I was about to turn off the lamp when his small hand grabbed on to the sleeve of my right hand.

"Kiya Ap Jane lage hai? (Are you going to leave?)"

This was the first time that he put such a question before me. Somehow, when he didn't say much and not even questioned this unusual arrangement. It felt like he didn't really notice it or thought much about it. Now, I guess it was another thing that we didn't notice.

"Baba, kiya ap hamare sath ni reh sakte, jistarha mere friends k sath unke baba rehte hai. (Baba, Can't you live with us like my friends have their baba living with them.)"

His small round eyes looked at me from underneath, with hands tugging on blanket, showing his nervousness. This action of his was so much similar to that of his mother that I couldn't help but picture her in my mind.

"Apko apki mama ne kiya bataya hai? (What did your mama tell you?)"

I looked at the ceiling, waiting for the explanation that Noor gave. He must have asked her before collecting the bravery to ask me. He must haven't been satisfied with her explanation that he felt the need to ask me this question.

"Mama kehte hai k apke job Laaho (Lahore) me hote hai. Ap is leye hamare sath Salambad (Islamabad) ni reh sakte. (Mama told me that that your job is in Lahore so that why you can't live in Islamabad with us.)"

His small voice and those unblinking eyes, whispered each word.

"Apki mama theak kehte hai. (Your mother is right.)"

I expected this to be end of our very first conversation with his energy and remaining bravery being used up in these minutes. But, he surprised me with his sudden question.

"Per baba, kiya hum apke sath laaho ni reh sakte. Mujhe ap dono k sath rehna hai. (But baba, Can we not live with you in Lahore. I want to live with both of you.)"