Chapter 5

تیری بےرخی سے ہے بڑی عمر انتظار کی میری
کہ مارے گی زیادہ مجھے موت سے ناراضگی تیری
______________________________________

The red duppata was draped on my head and the pins were adjusted to keep it there. My head was down and eyes were on my hina covered hands. I didn't look at mirror to see my face.

A knock was produced on the door. They were talking and I ignored. There were sound of footsteps and the closing of door.

Two warm hands were placed on my shoulder. I raised my head and instantly my eyes found the brown of the bride in the mirror. I looked like a bride. Jahan k dulhan. (Jahan's bride.)

I placed my hand on mummy's hand and turned my head to her. There was a sweet smile on her face but a tear escaped her left eye.

She walked in front and took my hands. I stood up and followed her to the bed where we both set with her hands holding onto mine.

"Chanda."

She called me and I pulled my eyes away from lap toward her face.

"I acknowledge it that Jahan did wrong with you but you should forgive him now."

My throat tightened. Forgive him. I understand now the reason that he left but three years___________. Teen saal k beruhi. (Indifference of three years.) It wasn't easy to forgive and forget.

"I will try."

She pulled my head toward her and kissed on my temple.

"Shukria. (Thank you.)"

A knock was produced and Sana entered in room saying that the guest were already in the hall and the car was waiting downstairs.

A large chadar was placed on my head with a veil to cover my face. I walked downstairs to the front where a door was opened for me and I took a seat at the back.

The car reached the hall. I got out of the car and they took me to bridal room. They took off the chadar and the veil. They checked me last time.

I stood in middle as my cousins stood at my sides holding a red duppata with golden heavy work above my head.

I was standing before the hall. The doors opened. There was silence but then a song started to play. The music played and then a long word was sang by singer.

منڈیا

At this they asked me to walk.
I started taking small steps as the singer sang the same word again.

منڈیا ڈوپٹہ چھڈ میرا
نئیں شرماں دا گھنڈ لاہی دا

I could feel every eyes that kept me in captive at my every step as I walked on the long straight red carpet taking me up to him. I didn't look up to see if he was one of the them or not.

وے ِانج نئیں ستاؤنا چاہی دا

My hands were trembling as I got closer to the stage. My heart it felt like it would burst out at any given moment.

کڑیے

I was now close to the stairs and at the second call of this word again by singer. I climbed up one stair. A hand was there out stretched for me to help me take my second up.