Chapter 6

رات مہکی تو ہم نے یہ جانا
تیری آنکھوں میں نیند آئی ہے
______________________________________

Allah Akbar
Allah Akbar

The heart easing voice of azaan sounded from multiple speakers adding a symphony in otherwise silent room. My soul instantly felt the relief.

I stood up from dewaan where I was sitting half sleep and half awake. My eyes instantly fell on the figure lying under the sheets. My heart instantly felt a stab of pain. I couldn't make myself lay in same space as him knowing that he was upset.

I pulled the shawl the only shield from the dry cold of lahore foggy winter away from my body. I walked in to bathroom and performed my wudu. I wrapped the chiffon duppata around my head tightly.

I walked in to the room and took out the prayer mat from the cupboard. After that I placed the mat in the direction of qibla.

I made the neyat for fajar and started reciting ayats in my heart. At the end of my namaz. I raised my hands for duaa. My heart soared for Allah's help. His guidance. I didn't need to speak the word or part my lips. My heart told every little secret that I held in the deepest corner. It told him my fears and my concerns and asked for his help. His solution as it was the best.

At the end of duaa. I skimmed my hands on my face as I recited durood shareef.

I was about to stand up when a baritone voice suddenly made me stoic on my place.

"Tumhe namas ni parhne chaheye. (You shouldn't pray namaaz.)

"Q?" (Why?) I asked meekly in a whisper not understanding why he would say something like that.

I heard his footsteps as he walked up to me. He stood by my side but I didn't look up at him. After a moment of silence, he replied in a mocking tone.

"Qk begum. Allah un aurto k namazee qabool ni karta jo apne shohar ko deny karte hai." (Because wifey. Allah doesn't accept the namazee of those women who deny their husband)

He walked into the bathroom saying those hurtful words. The tears pricked at corner of my eyes. Allah mere namazee qabool ni kare ga. (Allah won't accept my prayers.) How he could say that. I never used to pray until I heard the news of our nikkah. It was the first time that I prayed and asked Allah for betterment and mercy. After Abba's death when he wasn't here. These namazee were my sanctuary. I took sanctuary with Allah the merciful and mighty. Now he is telling me. My only sanctuary won't answer my prayers.

He was passing by my side when I took hold of the end of his right hand sleeve. He stopped but didn't turn around. I tugged at them once and then twice.

"Jahan." He took a deep sigh at my call.

"Kuch kehna hai?" (You want to say something?)

"Ap ne mujhe hurt kiya hai." (You hurt me.) I whispered meekly in a small voice holding on to my tears.

He turned around and stopped low until he was sitting beside me. He pulled my chin up with a bit force and met my eyes.

"Aur jo tum ne mujhe hurt kiya hai. (And that you hurt me.)"