Chapter 26

اس خاک کو کسی خاک کی کیا خاک خبر ہے
   یہ خود خاک ہورہا ہے کسی خاک کی خاطر
_______________________________________

This medical history in my hand, felt like another burden on my soul. Was I so unnecessary in her world that she didn't find it important enough to tell me this?

Only I know in what state of mind, I set there as the doctor told me that my wife was almost saved from a miscarriage.

And this. Her blood pressure was consistently going higher in her last months. My every fear was right in front of my eye. She did not feel that it was important for me to know about her health. Does she think that I don't care?

Standing at the pedestrian. Waiting for the road to clear, so I could cross it. The fear clawed at my heart. My breath hitched when the same eyes which were seeing an empty road, now saw a very familiar bleeding woman on the road.

My heart felt like it was going to burst out and then second a voice of an horn struck my ear drums, pulling me out. A nightmare in the pure daylight.

My hand shook as my palm wiped the sweat from my face. I waited for my heart to calm down and then crossed the road.

How long would I live like this? In the shadow of my fears!

◾◾◾◾◾◾◾◾◾

She stopped at half of the circle with her hands on her knees, body slightly bent with head bowed. I turned a bit and walked back up to her. It was something that we did on daily basis.

We would pray fajar together. The first time that I woke her up to pray with me. I wasn't sure if she would agree but she did. Then I would take her for jogging. Doctors said the exercise would help to maintain her blood pressure.

She wasn't very much willing but reminding her about the baby's health, made it work. This time, I expected the same to happen, few encouraging words and she would complete the circle.

"cholo. (come on. ) Be a good girl."

She looked up at me, face completely flushed and sweaty with this bit of jog.

"Nahi bs. Ab mujh se aur ni hota. (No, it's enough. I can't do this anymore.)

Narrowing my eyes, I surveyed her. I knew it was difficult for her to do this, with her condition but it was necessary. Fortunately she didn't have pre-eclampsia like aunty but she could develop it with the rate that her blood pressure was shooting day by day.

When I walked up to her. She literally had tears in her eyes. "My feet are swollen, Jahan. I can't. I will take two tablets instead of one."

Gripping her shoulder. I looked in her eyes. She was the one who refused the high potency tablet as it could harm the baby. Now, she did not even want to to do this.

"Listen to me. Just a bit more. Okay."

She shrugged her head in no again and again. I pulled away, crossing my arms across my chest.

"phir theak hai. Hone de jo hota hai. Mere priority ap hai. (Okay all right then. Let it happen. You are my priority.) I would save you but I can't say anything about him."