Chapter 4

کیسے سمجھاؤں اس شخص کو
جسے محرم کہہ چکی ہوں کہ
ہر دلی تعلق توڑ آئی ہوں
جب سےاس کی ہوئی ہوں
By author ______________________________________

I was wearing a yellow lehanga with a shimmering blouse. The blouse was full but the neckline was too deep. It showed my shoulders and a way to much cleavage. It came just today and nothing could be done so my yellow duppata was draped on my one shoulder and my hair on another one. In this way, I was a bit covered. I was not wearing any flower jewellery. A choker and only a nose pin.

At the moment, I was sitting alone on a large swing enough for four people to sit. The swing was covered with marigold flower. There was a dance stage at centre of veranda in front of my swing. A marigold flower chandeliers was hanging from top at centre. The walls and whole veranda with our spiral staircase were covered with marigolds and white flowers.

Everything was ready and even guest were here but the groom was missing. I wasn't complaining. I knew Jahan won't like the way I am dressed. I tried to make mummy understand that so that I could wear something else but she wasn't budging. She said something like Shah's daughter in law wearing anything but a designer dress was a big no.

It wasn't just papa who had a large name in business but Agha jan himself was a well known politician and then taya abu took his place in the party. They were feudal politicians. I didn't like feudalism but I never voiced out my thoughts. Even papa didn't like it. I have heard that Agha jan wanted papa to join the party too but he paved his own way in business world. You could say that they pretty much owned Lahore. They never lost any election.

My eyes were downcast the whole time. Some one sat beside me on my right on the swing. I expected it to be Jahan but when I looked up. A shock expression took place on my face which I composed by plastering a fake smile.

"Ibad ap." He looked almost the same with his curly black hair, hazel eyes and light stubble.

The last time, I saw him and talked to him was four days after Abba's death. It was almost three years ago. The shock was totally uncalled for as he was Jahan's friend. He was supposed be here.

"Mubarak ho." (Congratulations.)

"Thank you."

It was awkward talking to him after everything. I didn't know what to say.

"Kasi ho?" (How are you?)

"Fine. Aur ap." (And you)

I turned to him for first time since our conversation and there was the same affection with a shimmer of guilt.

"I want to apologize for that day."

"Its alright. Purane bat hai. (Its old talk.)"

"Ni, Noor (No). You don't know I-----"

He was interrupted by a clearing of throat. I looked at my side to find Jahan standing. His black hair were ruffled. He was wearing white kurta and shalwar with golden embroidery. The neckline had lot of small cloth made buttons starting from collar. The first five or six were undone. His sleeves were rolled up. It looked like he just came and got dressed in a haste.

"Salam Jahan." He stood up and outstretched his hand for him to shake.

He didn't even shook his hand and just gave him a stiff nod. His honey brown eyes then landed on me and he did a quick survey of my outfit. His already clenched jaw clenched more if it could be possible.