Chapter 19: Following Through

"IBARA SHIOZAKI HAS ADVANCED TO THE NEXT ROUND!!!" Izuku nodded to himself, fully expecting the outcome of the battle. It wasn't too much of a surprise, given the quirks in play, and those who possessed them. He was secluded on the roof above the stadium, getting a silent birds' eye view of the entire arena, which of course, included the battlefield.

"Hey, are you nervous?" Toxin asked, popping out of his shoulder.

"Nervous? No, I wouldn't say that. If anything, I'm concerned. Being nervous will just screw up our rhythm. Todoroki is no weakling, so I've got to be ready for any possible outcome, but even if he uses his fire, I still think we've got a fine shot at winning." Izuku's eyes narrowed as he watched Iida getting manhandled by the gadgets of Mei Hatsume.

"Well sure, but that brings up another point. Why are you so adamant about getting him to use his fire?! It's easier for us if he sticks with his ice" Toxin persisted, not understanding his partner's motivation.

"As a hero, it's my duty to help others. He's fucked in the head, not to say it's his fault or anything, cause we know damn well sure it's not, but that changes nothing. He needs support, and I wanna try to be there for him."

"And you're certain it's worth risking the match?"

"Risk? Didn't you hear what I said in the speech? I've already gone over every possible scenario, and that included a match against Todoroki's fire. There's always a simple solution to winning any and every battle, even ones against him. Even if it was riskier than now, I wouldn't know for sure if I was stronger than him if I didn't win against him at his best, so yeah... there's no point in fighting him without at least trying to help him."

"You better know what you're talking about." It may not have been the same for Izuku, but Toxin felt plenty of nerves surge within him.

"I'd never say it if I wasn't sure. But me being sure that we can win doesn't mean it'll be easy. It simply means that if we take the necessary steps, we will win. Those steps will be hard, but they're clear to me, and as long as we do our job, he's fucked." As Izuku concluded his thoughts, the crowd erupted in a brilliant cheer, welcoming Aoyama and Ashido onto the field. He let a deep breath, letting the exhilaration of the environment set in. "Haaah... we should get back to the seats soon. Momo's fight is next, and I'd like to talk to her before her fight."

"Ok, let's go then." Izuku walked back to the edge of the roof, then swung down to the top floor where the rest of his class sat in anticipation for the coming fights.

He searched around for Momo, and found her back in the same spot he'd previously left her. Izuku relaxed a bit, seeing that her face wasn't the same as before. Instead of frantic and worried, it was full of determination, and he couldn't deny that it was a very good look for her. He found himself blushing before he could say a word.

"Izuku? Are you alright?" Momo asked, noticing him next to her, blankly staring. This woke him from his trance, and he shook his head to clear his mind.

"O-Oh! Yea, I'm fine. I just wanted to check up on you once more, but you already seem much more confident. I assume you've come up with a strategy?"

Momo shook tilted her head, "I don't know if it's a strategy, per-say... but I've got hope. I'll do my best for you!"

"What?!" Izuku stepped back in surprise, "For me?!"

"Izuku, you're the reason I'm able to say that I could win! I'd still be a mess if it wasn't for what you told me, so I'm going to win to make you proud!" Her hands clutched together, her fingernails furiously grinding against her own skin. Izuku put one of his hands on hers, and smiled.