Chapter 16- Can't win x and x can't lose

Third POV
The ten remaining applicants, Michael, Gon, Killua, Kurapika, Leorio, Pokkle, Bodoro, Gitarrackur, Hanzo, and Hisoka, having passed the fourth phase, head to the site of the final phase of the exam.

Michael's POV
"Well, gentlemen and young lady, everyone well rested up? Good." Mr. Netero said as we all stood outside of a cool looking building.

"Now, then, the hunter exam committee runs this hotel, so I want all of you to make yourselves at home until the battles have concluded." He explained.

Oh, it's a hotel. This don't look like one but aight. I thought, looking at all the nice walls around us. "For the final phase of the hunter exam, you'll be competing in a one-on-one tournament." He said, making me look back and saw a board with lines on it.

"Hold on a second. So only the last person standing passes?" Leorio asked, "No. You only need one win to pass this phase." Mr. Netero said, correcting him.

"Wait just one?" Gon's and I asked, me holding Nee and Amaimon in my arms. "Wait. So in this tournament.." Leorio started. "See, it's the winners who will drop away and the losers who will advance the next round." Mr. Netero explained.

"Which means the person who makes it to the top, fails the exam." I spoke, his plan clicking in my head. "Very good, Michael. Makes sense everyone?" He complimented me then asked all of us.

"You're saying that only one person will fail the exam." The bald guy with beautiful eyebrows said, wanting to clarify, "Exactly." Mr. Netero answered.

"Here is the bracket we've put together." He said, moving to the side then took off the tape that was on the board, revealing pictures of us and our opponents, me being the very last one.

"Nee." "I agree. The first ones to go up are, your friend, Gon and this Hanzo fellow. That should be interesting to see." Amaimon agreed with Nee in a whisper, "Then there's your other friend, Kurapika, who has to fight with that Hisoka guy." "Yeah.." I agreed, looking to the side, at Hisoka, who had a small smirk on his face.

He then looked at me, making eye contact, and I instantly looked away, a blush slowly growing on my face.

"Impressive, yes? You see, under this format, every competitor has at least two chances to win a round." Mr. Netero said. "Yeah, but some people have five chances to win. Like numbers 294 and 405." A guy said, who's number was 53 on the board.

"And number 406 only has one chance of winning." He said, making me look at where I was, seeing that it was indeed true. "Couldn't you have used a more balanced bracket?" The old guy asked Mr. Netero. I think he's the one who knows Kung-Fu.

"Hmm. Now, that's a fair question." Mr. Netero said, then looked at us, "The bracket was carefully assembled based on each of your individual performances through the hunter exam." He started explaining.

"To put it simply, those whose performances were rated highly will have the most chances to win." He said, making me think back to see if I did anything amazing without me knowing but found nothing, making me satisfied with my spot in the board.

"I'm not convinced." Killua said from the left of me, "Could you explain exactly how you scored our performances?" He asked.

"Hmm." Mr. Netero thought, then made a weird face, shaking his head no, "NO!" He yelled, startling me and Killua, making me move behind him.

"Why not?!" Killua asked, a bit startled by his response and me holding his arm. "I can't say because your scores are classified. I can't reveal your actual scores. However, I can explain the criteria we used." Mr. Netero said.