chapter 45 | Grow up

"Jungkook?" a familiar voice brings my mind away from the sweets, and I stumble upon a man that I know very well, and who's with his girlfriend. I haven't seen him in a while. "Hey," I smile, and he does the same, holding Areum's hand in his. "Happy birthday, bro. I can't believe we fall upon you today."

"Thank you," I chuckle. "I didn't expect to see you either, even if I know you always come here to shop," I tell him but take a peek at his girl, who is still as shy as she was when I first saw her. "I know, this mall is pretty, and I just wanted to go out with her since she's starting school tomorrow."

"Ah yeah, you should graduate this year, right?" I ask her, but she nods to me with a smile on her face. "Good luck then," I try not to be pessimistic or scare her about this year, but she takes it in a good way, without talking. "She's shy, don't worry," Dongsik gazes at her with as much love as he used to some months ago, and he rubs his thumb over the back of her hand. "I'm happy to see you though. How is everything going?" he peeks down at Mingi but leans towards us to have a closer look. "He's growing up so fast," he beams at him, probably remembering how he was two months ago when he last saw him. "Yeah. Everything is going well, y/n started the courses again today, so it feels empty at home, but it's fine."

"Ah, and she's still working at our previous school?" he asks, interested in this subject. "Yes, she's still there, with Jungeun."

"Oh, this little guy must be happy," he laughs but states facts. He knows him well. "I hope it won't be too hard for y/n though. I know she will try to work and take care of Mingi as well once she's home, so...don't forget about what I told you."

"I know, I'm taking care of them both. I'm a man and good dad now, I mean," I tilt my head and smile, shyly. "I'm trying to."

"You seem different from when I first saw you with him, so that's a good thing. You're doing better than some dads in their thirties," he compliments me but has no idea how much this means to me. "I'm glad I am, and I'm kinda excited about spending my days with him and taking care of him while y/n is working, I don't know why."

"Probably because of the responsibilities, you must like to feel responsible and all. That's great," he tells me, getting me to agree and believe this is the reason. "What about you though?" I hold my bag with my other hand, feeling the weight pull on my muscles. "When's the baby coming?" I tease him, knowing he would like to have one.

"Ay," he lifts his hand up to gesture to me to decline in speed. "Slow down, boy. We have time," he giggles, but Areum smiles at him. This must be comforting to hear her boyfriend say they have time, that means a lot when that comes from a partner. "We'll wait to have a house for us first. That's the most important."

"Oh, so you plan to buy a house for you both?" I do not stay quiet about this, understanding by this that he finally can see a future with a girl that he loves, and who loves him as much as he does. "Yes, I do, but we already had this conversation together, so you won't make me nervous in front of her, got it?" he ruins my thoughts, and I just chuckle. "I tried."

"I know, that's why I'm telling you," he tucks his free hand in the pocket of his black jeans. "Anyway," he clears his throat but gazes at my son who put his eyes on Areum. "Are you having a party?"

"Just between me, Mingi and y/n, but we'll maybe do something more this weekend with my family. I was planning to invite you actually," I tell him the truth since I always celebrate my birthday with my friends too. "Oh, I'll come with Areum then. Is that all right?"

"Yes sure. Jaehyun and Minjun should be there too," I accept with no problem. "Good, I can't wait."

"Well," I breathe out, checking up on my baby but seeing him still focus on Areum. Is it the soft pink color she wears that catches his attention or he's already attracted to girls?