Chapter 20: A Meditite Competition

Author's Note:

20 chapters in. That seems like a nice little milestone for the story. Anyway, after last chapter had less focus on Bonnie, this one has much more! We're finally in Dewford Town, so things get a little more interesting now. Hope you enjoy!

Chapter 20: A Meditite Competition

The moment the SS Wingull was tied to the docks of Dewford Town, Bonnie was leaping off of it, too excited to think of being very careful. Fortunately, it was no big deal, and after a quick chastisement from Roxanne, the others made their way off the boat, while Bonnie looked out towards Dewford Town. Much of it probably had to do with the fact it was the home of the next gym she'd be challenging, but she found it to be quite a nice little town.

Dewford Town wasn't very big, and the town itself took up a small part of the much larger island according to Briney. However, the palm trees lining the cliffs overlooking the beaches and the small beachfront houses around the docks gave it a nice welcoming feel. Bonnie could just barely see the Pokemon Centre in the distance, down the road to their right, while the rest of the town was up ahead. There was also a cafe further down the beach where a few surfers were hanging out.

"We're going to have to come hang out at the beach later," Roxanne said, stepping down off the boat and looking out at the sights alongside Bonnie. "It looks beautiful!"

"It'll be nice to relax for a bit after the trip here," Clyde murmured in agreement.

Bonnie had enjoyed the trip aboard the SS Wingull, but she couldn't help but agree that it had been a bit tiring. Of course, that wasn't going to stop her from looking for the gym as soon as she could. "We'll relax once I have my second badge," she told Clyde in a firm voice. "We need to get to a Pokemon Centre and then head to the gym."

"Zzt! The Dewford Town Gym should be just down that pathway," Rotom then said, floating down to Bonnie's side and gesturing towards the road leading to the Pokemon Centre. Where it diverged, it seemed to head further into town, and Bonnie assumed that was where Rotom was pointing. The PokeDex seemed to be scanning whatever he could of their immediate area, using the PokeNav that was currently attached to him. "Zzt! There will be many Pokemon at this beach for me to analyze! We will need to come back here."

"Oh, I'm sure you'll all have plenty of time to come to the beach and to go to the gym for Bonnie's battle." Bonnie smiled, looking over as Briney got off the boat, Peeko resting on his shoulder. "Dewford Town is a wonderful place to relax. You should take advantage while you're here. No need to rush your journey."

Bonnie blushed at that. She supposed that was true, and she couldn't deny that it looked like fun to hang out for awhile here. Still, she wanted to check out the gym. If she could earn her badge, it would be even more fun coming to the beach to celebrate. Besides, Max had likely already been here. "We'll make sure to have some fun, Mr. Briney," Bonnie said. "But I do need to catch up to my rivals."

Briney chuckled at that, but nodded in understanding. "Aye, I suppose you do. I wonder if Max has earned his Dewford Gym Badge yet."

"He'll have been just as determined as Bonnie to get there as quickly as possible," Roxanne said, laughing at Bonnie's stubborn look.

"Well, I suppose I'd better let you get going then," Briney murmured, chuckling as he exchanged an amused glance with Peeko. "You'll be wanting to get to the Pokemon Centre I expect. As for us, we've got a few packages to deliver in town, and then we'll be delivering to the rest of the island before heading back to Rustboro."

Bonnie suddenly felt bad for her eagerness to get going. She'd really enjoyed their brief journey with Briney and Peeko, and she was extremely grateful to him for bringing her and the others to Dewford Town. "We're going to miss you, Mr. Briney," she said, moving forward to shake his hand, before petting Peeko lightly. "Thank you for bringing us here."