Chapter 34: The Titan of the Rocks

Author's Note:

I'm baaaack. What's it been? Almost two years. That's...not ideal. But if Lumiose University has taught us anything, it's that I'm gonna fight to get through this. I'd like to let you all know what's been up and why it's been so long, but that probably gets a little too personal. Regardless, I'm gonna try again, because I do enjoy this story, and I love what's planned for it and think you guys will enjoy it, too. But more on that stuff at the bottom. For now, we need to see how Bonnie's doing! Last we saw her, she'd just caught Trapinch in a contest with her rival Sadie to see who could beat the tricky little bugger. But then Sadie seemed to wander off. It's been a long wait, but let's see just where all that is going! Hope you enjoy!

Chapter 34: The Titan of the Rocks

Sand swirled in all directions as Butch, Cassidy, Smeargle and Raticate tried to find their way through the desert of Route 111. They truly had no idea where to go, where they had come from and no supplies or even Pokémon to help them. If they hadn't been huddled closely together as they trudged through the sand, they would likely be separated and have no way to find one another.

"You're sure we can't call Zinnia?" Butch asked Cassidy, raising his voice above the wind and coughing as sand filled his mouth.

"I told you already," she snapped, holding up their transmitter, "this thing won't work with all the sand blowing around. I can barely press the buttons, let alone get a connection."

"Your efforts have been most admirable," Smeargle told her, ignoring her glare. "Now, how about any ideas to get us out of this bloody mess?"

Butch sighed, and he noticed Cassidy looking uneasy as well. Raticate just appeared to be fed up and exhausted with the situation. It was really turning out to be a bad day.

Things had started out quite well. Zinnia had contacted them in the morning to aid in an important, but classified mission on Route 111 in the area of the Desert Ruins. A Team Archaic excavation crew was entering the ruins to investigate something and Zinnia had a team prepared to prevent unwanted intruders. She had called Butch and Cassidy in as reinforcements to scout further in the area and try to steer trainers away, while also potentially dealing with a troublesome Trapinch that had been causing problems. They had seen no signs of either. Butch wasn't sure that they would be able to handle any kind of conflict at the moment, however, so he was somewhat relieved.

"I think it's a little clearer up ahead," Cassidy suddenly said, coughing as sand spun around them. She pointed once the gust was over, and Butch could barely see what she was referring to. There did, indeed, seem to be a somewhat clearer patch beyond a small hill. Without another word, they all set off, Raticate leading the way.

"Well spotted, Cass," Smeargle said, sitting down and sighing in relief once they were somewhat safe beyond the swirling sand. "I have to ask, though. How are we supposed to do our bloody jobs in this mess?"

Cassidy eyed the Painter Pokemon distrustfully, clearly unsure if his compliment was legitimate. A moment later, she decided to answer, though. "We'll just have to stay at the edge of the storm. We'll catch any intruders coming in. Nobody will be able to get to the ruins through that anyway."

"Right, I'm sure anyone with designs on stopping Team Archaic in the ruins consistently surrounded by gusting sand will be wholly unprepared for these conditions." Smeargle nodded so seriously that Cassidy seemed to miss the sarcasm dripping from his comment. Butch had to cough to hide a laugh. A moment later, though, he realized Cassidy's attention was actually on something else.

"Looks like a trainer about the brat's age..." Cassidy murmured, kneeling down in an attempt to stay undetected. Everyone else followed suit. They would be harder to spot from a distance. They were wearing brown cloaks to try to serve as camouflage in the sand.