Chapter 16: Captain Briney

Author's Note:

Back with another chapter of Bonnie! Hooray! Just a quick little plug before we get to it, though. In case some of you don't know, I've published the first of the oneshots that will be going along with this series. They'll all be collected in one story titled Generation Z – Gotta Catch 'Em All so if you want to check that out, it's on my profile. The first oneshot actually takes place between this chapter (16) and chapter 18, so when a certain something happens in chapter 18 that seems a little weird...well, it won't seem so weird with the oneshot as background. Anyway, hope you enjoy that if you haven't seen it, and hopefully you enjoy this, as Bonnie is coming off of her big win against Roxanne, and now needs to head off to Dewford Town.

Chapter 16: Captain Briney

"I won! I won, Clemont! I won!"

Bonnie might've been embarrassed if she hadn't been so excited, her shout of glee at the video phone heard all around the Pokemon Centre. She'd imagined calling Clemont about her first badge and acting calm and cool about it, but that had all gone out the window as soon as her brother's face had appeared on screen. She was almost sure he was somewhat expecting it, too, an excited gleam in his eyes as he looked to her when he had answered.

"Wow Bonnie, that's so great!" Clemont finally said, once Bonnie had yelled, "I won!" a few more times. "Show me the badge! I've never seen the Hoenn ones before."

Bonnie quickly pulled out her badge case, proudly holding it open so that the Stone Badge pinned inside was clearly visible to her brother. She was glad to see it sparkling in the light, as she may have spent quite a bit of time the night before polishing it. "It was a really tough battle," she said, once Clemont had looked approvingly at the badge and she'd put the case away. "Beautifly managed to beat Roxanne's Geodude, but she got really tired out. She managed to wear down Nosepass a bit, though, and even got it with a String Shot, which might've been the difference for Dedenne to win the final battle!"

"Nene!" Dedenne added proudly, puffing out his chest from Bonnie's shoulder.

Clemont smiled once more. "Wow, so both of your Pokemon played a big role! That's really good teamwork, Bonnie. You must've been working really hard with Beautifly to get her to help so much."

"Of course!" Bonnie told him seriously, putting her hands on her hips. "I'm making sure every one of my Pokemon ends up as strong as they can be."

"That's great, Bonnie," Clemont told her, looking pleased. "I guess you'll need to make sure to catch another Pokemon soon, huh?"

Bonnie had actually been thinking the same thing, realizing that she'd been in somewhat of a difficult situation in her battles with Roxanne due to only having two. If she hoped to win at the Dewford Gym, she would probably need some additional help. "I'll try my best. Maybe Roxanne can help me find a new one to join our team." At Clemont's confused look, Bonnie realized she needed to explain. "Roxanne asked if she could come along on the journey with Clyde and me. She wants to learn more by travelling so she can teach her students better."

Clemont almost looked relieved at the news, and Bonnie realized he'd likely been worried about her lack of...supervision. She resisted the urge to glare at him, and accepted his excited words that came after. "She should be able to help you a lot, Bonnie. You must've really impressed her in your battles if she wants to travel with you."

"She sure did!"

Bonnie jumped at the voice, turning her head to see Roxanne behind her, apparently having met up with Clyde and Rotom as well. She looked pretty excited, a backpack around her shoulders looking quite full of supplies. "Roxanne!" Bonnie said in surprise, smiling as she looked upon her newest travel companion. "It looks like you're ready to go."