Chapter 4: To Catch Them is My Real Test

Author's Note:

Here were are with another chapter of Bonnie's adventure. For those who read the original, this is somewhat similar to the first one, but I've definitely changed some things. Rotom's presence changes Bonnie's approach to things a little, and there was also a bit of a chance for some reflection on the battle with Max. I suppose you'll see. Hope you enjoy!

Chapter 4: To Catch Them is My Real Test

Bonnie stayed over at Professor Birch's lab the night after her battle with Max, deciding that her first full day of travel would go much better with a good night's sleep. She was anxious to get started of course, especially when Max was quick to leave not long after the battle, seeming like he was in quite the rush to get to Petalburg City. However, Bonnie knew she needed to give Dedenne a chance to recover, even if it was a brief fight, and that after flying over from Kalos, it was better not to rush things.

It was a fairly quiet night, with her dreams filled with what she hoped would happen throughout her journey. She dreamed of setting out the next day, Dedenne and Rotom at her side, seeing all the sights of Hoenn as they travelled throughout the region. She dreamed of meeting fellow trainers, battling them and defeating them, including the gym leaders of Hoenn, proving herself worthy against them in order to compete in the Hoenn League.

When her dreams brought her to the opening ceremonies of the Hoenn League, she and Dedenne preparing to battle their way to the top, Bonnie was awoken by a sharp pain in the middle of her nose. It was almost like it was being pinched by a Krabby. Her eyes shot open and she whipped up in the bed, the culprit jumping back as she did so.

"Chic! Torchic chic!" the Chick Pokemon chirped out, hopping a bit from where it landed at the foot of Bonnie's bed, a small one in a guest room that Professor Birch had set up.

"What was that for, Torchic?" Bonnie asked angrily, rubbing the spot on her nose, still feeling the stinging pain from what she assumed must have been a Peck attack. "And what are you doing in here? Shouldn't you be with Treecko and Mudkip?"

Torchic just continued to stare at her, but Bonnie's question was answered a moment later when she looked up, noticing the door to the room was opened, Rotom floating in ahead of Dedenne. A moment later, Professor Birch entered as well, knocking first before Bonnie told him to come in. "Torchic!" he said, upon seeing the small fire type. "We've been looking for you. Go on out to the field. Treecko and Mudkip are playing with the Zigzagoon. You should join them."

"Torchic..." it muttered, not looking pleased, but hopping off the bed regardless, before making its way out of the room. It gave one last look to Bonnie, before hopping away out of sight.

"Zzt, what did Torchic do to you, Bonnie?" Rotom asked, apparently seeing the anger in Bonnie's eyes as she rubbed her nose, Dedenne peering at her closely in concern.

"It pecked me," Bonnie answered, yawning as she stretched her arms. "Oh well, I guess it's time to get up anyways."

Birch nodded at that, checking a watch on his wrist. "Indeed, it's still early, but if you get up now and have your breakfast, you can get a full day of travel in. You could make some good time on Route 101, and within a couple days, you should be in Oldale Town."

Bonnie smiled at that, knowing that perhaps even within an hour, she was really going to be on a journey, with just Rotom and Dedenne at her side. There was no way of knowing what was in store, and while that did make her a little nervous, the thoughts of all the cool Pokemon she would see just made her even more excited. Just from what she'd seen in Littleroot Town and at Professor Birch's lab, she knew Hoenn was full of some amazing Pokemon.