Chapter 13: A Rocky Start

Author's Note:

The moment we've all been waiting for is here! Gen...eration Z chapter 13!

Oh, and Gen 8 was announced! Who's excited about that? Looks like a good one so far. Can't wait for gyms to come back. And speaking of gyms...we've got Bonnie's first ever gym battle here! So let's get started.

Chapter 13: A Rocky Start

Bonnie and Clyde had gone back to the Pokemon Centre after leaving Kenny's battle, each feeling pretty badly for their friend, knowing that it was a pretty crushing blow for his already low confidence. When they arrived, they had asked Nurse Joy if he had come back, and she mentioned that she was taking care of Poliwag overnight, while Kenny had asked to not be disturbed, having gone to his room. Despite that request, they had still felt the need to try, but of course received no answer when they'd knocked and called for him. Eventually, they decided it was no use, returning to the lobby to get some dinner.

When the two young trainers had finally sat down at a table with some food, their Pokemon over by the desk getting some from Nurse Joy, Bonnie stared glumly outside, remembering Kenny's battle. He really hadn't been too bad, his Poliwag having used a decent combination of Rain Dance and his ability Swift Swim to evade some attacks and land his own. However, Kenny had clearly needed a little more strength and planning, as Roxanne was able to back him into a corner fairly easily in the end. Not to mention the fact that he needed another Pokemon.

"What do you think Kenny was up to going into that battle with only a Magikarp as his backup for Poliwag?" Clyde asked as he looked up from his food, seeing Bonnie deep in thought, clearly knowing what she was thinking about. "He had to have known that wasn't a good idea."

"Maybe that's why he was so nervous," Bonnie suggested, shrugging as she picked at her food. "I guess he just felt he needed to try since Tommy and Max had won their battles."

Clyde nodded, looking sadly towards the hall that led to the Pokemon Centre guest rooms. "Hopefully he doesn't give up after this. If he can catch another Pokemon..." He didn't sound too sure, shrugging after a moment. "Well, anyway, it's up to you next. What do you think you're gonna do?"

Bonnie, despite her concern for Kenny, couldn't help but let her excitement take over for a bit, thinking about how her first ever gym battle was the next day. "I know that Nosepass is supposed to be Roxanne's strongest Pokemon, and that it knows an electric attack, so Beautifly will be pretty vulnerable to it," she said, trying to think of her options. "I'll need to make sure I can use Dedenne against it, so Beautifly will need to battle her other Pokemon. Absorb should do the trick."

"Tommy said something about her other Pokemon being a Geodude," Clyde pointed out, Rotom immediately floating closer, sensing he was needed for information. "Any tips?" Clyde asked the PokeDex, smirking as he knew Rotom was glad to provide the details.

"Zzt! Of Course!" Rotom cried out, Geodude's image immediately on his screen, the serious looking rock type holding its arms out as though ready for a boxing match. "Geodude, the Rock Pokemon. The longer a Geodude lives, the more its edges are chipped and worn away, making it more rounded in appearance. However, this Pokemon's heart will remain hard, craggy and rough always." Rotom turned to face Bonnie, her Pokemon's images appearing alongside Geodude's. "Geodude will be immune to Dedenne's Thunder Shock and Nuzzle attacks, as it is part ground type. If it knows any ground type attacks, however, Beautifly will be immune to those. Unfortunately, it will likely have attacks that can harm both Dedenne and Beautifly, with ground and rock type attacks available."

Bonnie bit her lip at that, wishing she was a little better prepared herself for this match. Maybe it would've been a good idea to see if she could've tried to catch one of those Lotad that Natalie and her sisters worked with. That would've given her a huge advantage. "Are there any Pokemon nearby that are strong against rock types?" she asked, knowing that it was too late to try that, although Rotom appeared to be doing a scan.