Chapter 33: Trapped in a Pinch

Author's Note:

Hello all, I'm finally back with another Bonnie chapter. Been a rough writing month after a family issue, but things are should be getting back to normal now. Still hoping to finish off the GCTO/LU three part crossover soon and the Ash/Bea two parter. If you missed those, though, the first chapters of each are up on my profile. As for Bonnie, this chapter is one I've looked forward to for awhile. I guess you'll see why. Hope you enjoy!

Chapter 33: Trapped in a Pinch

"Marill, use Ice Punch!"

"Torchic, use Emb– Oh not again!"

Bonnie facepalmed as her Chick Pokemon took off in front of her, beak glowing with the heat from the contained Ember. Vivi and Marill weren't surprised, each having witnessed the overeager attacks from Torchic a few times in their training session. Marill was prepared with a frozen fist as Torchic charged at her, swiftly ducking underneath and striking the fire type in the back.

"Torrr!" Torchic cried out, falling face first into the ground, smoke coming from her beak as she staggered to her feet. She sheepishly looked over at Bonnie. "Torchic tor..."

Bonnie sighed, frustration creeping in. Nothing seemed to be working to stop Torchic from charging in like this. The Chick Pokemon was just too eager. Nonetheless, however, she couldn't be mad at Torchic. She didn't want to lash out at her Pokemon again. Besides, the issue did come from a good place. Torchic wanted to help her. She was simply struggling to hold in that desire so that they could work in tandem.

"When you said Torchic was eager, I didn't realize you meant this eager," Vivi said, chuckling as she moved over to congratulate Marill on her successful Ice Punch. "It is pretty cute, though."

Bonnie couldn't contain the grin that came to her face at that, glancing over at Torchic. "It is. Torchic just loves to help. Don't you, Torchic?"

"Tor!" the Chick Pokemon agreed, lighting up quickly at Bonnie's words.

Deciding that it was probably a good time for a break, Bonnie glanced over to where Wingull was working with Zigzagoon. She was about to call out to them, but decided to watch for a moment, curious how Zigzagoon was doing in responding to Wingull's attacks. The Seagull Pokemon was keeping them light, but early on, Zigzagoon had been fairly fearful. It made Bonnie feel horrible for how out of sync she'd been with the Tiny Raccoon Pokemon in their first two battles. Without proper communication, he'd been beaten up fairly badly, and it had left a lasting impression on him.

"Gull wingull!" Wingull cried out as he hovered above Zigzagoon. The Tiny Raccoon Pokemon looked up, watching closely as Wingull prepared his attack. "Gull!"

Suddenly, blades of air went shooting down as Wingull flapped his wings. They were much smaller than usual, the flying type trying to contain his strength, but appearing strong nonetheless. Zigzagoon braced himself as they descended, shaking a little, but holding strong. Then, at the last moment, he jumped up.

"Zagoon!" he cried out, striking the incoming Air Cutter with a Headbutt. The beginning of the attack was deflected, a blast of air shooting out to where Bonnie and Vivi were standing. Unfortunately, the Headbutt wasn't enough, though, the rest of Air Cutter pushing through and sending Zigzagoon to the ground. "Zigzagoon!"

"Gull!" Wingull cried out in worry and quickly descended to check on his teammate. "Wingull?"

Bonnie quickly headed over as well, instantly relieved as Zigzagoon struggled to his feet. He clearly wasn't hurt too bad from the relatively gentle attack, but he still seemed fairly frightened. Clearly he knew that if it had been a more forceful attack, he would've felt much worse from the impact. Bonnie could understand that fear, but it was still a problem if Zigzagoon was ever going to battle at her side. His speed and smarts made him valuable. He just needed to be braver, and she knew he wanted to be, watching as his eyes went to Wingull.