Chapter 28: A Zig-Zag Route

Author's Note:

Hello all! We've got another chapter of Bonnie's epic Hoenn journey here. Last time, she competed in a Contest and then Torchic joined the group. Now, she's travelling towards Mauville City with her friends. Let's see what's ahead. Hope you enjoy.

Chapter 28: A Zig-Zag Route

Bonnie sighed in contentment as she and her friends made their way along Route 110. It had been a lot of fun travelling by boat with Mr. Briney, and then also on Drake's ship, but it certainly felt nice to finally travel on foot once again. There was nothing quite like feeling the dirt and grass underneath them as they walked underneath the trees and listened to the Pokemon scurrying through the bushes nearby. It was just something that couldn't quite be matched when travelling at sea.

A light breeze blew over the group as some clouds approached them in the distance, dimming the sunlight from above somewhat. This caused Roxanne to look up, and she paused as she faced an open clearing to their left. "What do you guys think about stopping for some lunch? It might be a good idea to eat something now in case those clouds bring some rain."

"Is there a Pokemon Centre nearby?" Clyde asked, looking at the clouds uneasily. "It might be a good idea to find some shelter."

Everyone turned to Rotom as Bonnie hooked up her PokeNav to him, and a moment later, he had scanned through the map. "Zzt! It appears we are quite a distance away from the nearest Pokemon Centre."

"Well, if we have lunch now, we can look for a place afterwards to wait out the rain if it comes," Roxanne said, moving over to the clearing and taking off her backpack. "I got some supplies while you guys were training for the Contest, so we can eat well today!"

"Awesome!" Bonnie said, following her to the clearing. "I'm starving!"

"Nene!" Dedenne said in agreement, hopping down off of her shoulder and scurrying over to where Roxanne was taking out some Pokemon food.

"Come on out, Torchic and Wingull!" Bonnie then called out, throwing her pokeballs into the air as Clyde made his way over with Treecko, letting out his Aron as well, while Roxanne did the same with Onix, Geodude and Nosepass.

"Gull!" Wingull said happily as he emerged, looking to the clouds in the distance. Out of all of them, he would likely be the one to enjoy a storm the most, given his ability. His attention was diverted a moment later, however, as Torchic cried out next to him.

"Torchic tor!" the Chick Pokemon said happily, staring around at all the other Pokemon curiously. "Tor?"

"Wingull?" Wingull said, shuffling over to look at Torchic more closely. "Gull?" he asked, turning to Bonnie.

"Wingull, this is Torchic," Bonnie told the Seagull Pokemon happily. "Torchic entered the Slateport City Contest with me and decided to come along with us on our journey. And Torchic, this is Wingull. We met him while travelling on the way to Dewford Town."

"Wingull!" Wingull then said with a smile, turning back to Torchic and nodding to her. "Wingull!"

"Tor!" Torchic greeted, giving an additional little hop of excitement.

"You already know Treecko," Clyde then said, gesturing to his Pokemon, "but this is my Aron as well. And also, this is my Pokemon Fossil our friend Sawyer gave me, so it'll be a Pokemon one day, too!"

"And these are my Pokemon," Roxanne finished, gesturing to her three rock types. "Onix, Geodude and Nosepass."

All the Pokemon cried out their greetings to Torchic, who looked more than pleased to be greeted in such a friendly manner. "Torchic torrr!" she said, hopping up and down happily. "Tor!"