Chapter 17: The Flying Pirate

Author's Note:

Big things are happening now, folks. Here we are with the next chapter of the Bonnie story. I think this one should be fun. Something might be happening in it. I suppose we'll see. Anyways, hope you enjoy. I'll have more to say at the end.

Chapter 17: The Flying Pirate

"Ah, the seas are good today. We're in for some good sailing!"

Bonnie looked back from where she was at the front of the boat, seeing Briney steering the boat, looking fondly out over the water. She smiled as she saw his eyes drift to where Peeko was, the Seagull Pokemon looking beautiful as she glided in the wind, enjoying the spray of water coming from the S.S. Wingull. It was quite obvious why Briney enjoyed sailing like this, and Bonnie was glad that their journey with him had only just begun.

"Is the weather always this nice out here?" Roxanne asked, the Rustboro Gym Leader appearing as though she was enjoying the peace of not having to run her gym and teach classes every day. She was quite comfortably lounging back on a deck chair behind Bonnie. Clyde was in another one, although he was busy looking at a map that Rotom was showing him.

"Hoenn often has good weather," Briney told her, chuckling, "but I would say that we've got a particularly good journey ahead of us. I think young Bonnie gives us good luck."

Bonnie blushed at that, turning back towards the ocean ahead of her. It seemed fairly empty of Pokemon, despite a few small islands around them where some likely were, so she was a bit disappointed by that. However, watching Peeko fly alongside the boat was quite the sight. Beautifly had gone out a few times with her, but the Butterfly Pokemon wasn't quite as used to the salty sea air, and the splashing water as Peeko was, so she needed a few more breaks. Bonnie had decided it would make for some good training for her, though.

"What would you folks say about stopping for some lunch?" Briney eventually asked, after a few more minutes of sailing. "Travelling the seas is hungry work!"

They were all quite agreeable to that, and Bonnie watched in interest as Briney steered the boat close to an island and dropped down an anchor. She was surprised he wasn't going in closer so they could go onto the island, but then she realized he simply planned to eat out on the water. She didn't mind at all, though, enjoying the sea too much herself to actually want to get off. So, as they came to a stop and the anchor dropped, Bonnie called out Beautifly, while Roxanne called out her Geodude and Nosepass, and helped to get the Pokemon food prepared, while Briney collected some sandwiches he'd made earlier.

When they'd all settled down to eat, Briney looked up as Peeko and Beautifly flew around over the boat, the two of them enjoying the sea breeze a little longer before beginning their own meals. "Ah, it's good for Peeko to have a friend to fly around with. She loves the sea and the sky, but it can get lonely up there."

"But you have each other for company, don't you?" Bonnie asked, looking curiously to him as the two fliers started to descend back towards the boat.

"Oh yes, but we do sometimes get separated. If it's a small package we're delivering, Peeko will head out to drop it off, and it takes some time to get back to the boat depending on where we are. And if the seas are rough, we might lose sight of each other while sailing." He sighed, looking slightly sad. "I do worry about her being attacked. Peeko is a determined one, though. She wants to keep at it, no matter what."

"That's the way to do it, though!" Bonnie said encouragingly, finding herself doing an Ash style fist pump. "You just need to keep working hard, and you'll always find your way back to each other and keep each other safe."