Chapter 7: Ralts On In

Author's Note:

And we are back with another chapter of Bonnie's adventure! This one was pretty fun as it reveals a little more about Butch and Cassidy early on, and then we get to meet a new character, who I think will make things pretty interesting as we move along. So, I hope you enjoy!

Chapter 7: Ralts On In

"What a nasty little brat that girl was! When I see her again..."

"Raaaticate..."

Butch winced, exchanging an uneasy look with Raticate as he watched Cassidy, his companion in a rage that could rival her rants about Jessie, one of their Team Rocket rivals. He was getting a little tired of it, though, her anger not subsiding even after successfully delivering the fossils they'd collected to the base near Oldale Town. He supposed she was probably a little angry about that as well, with Viktor having claimed credit for the partially successful mission in their report to Courtney, and blaming them for the failed part of the mission.

Of course, Butch was fairly certain that Courtney was not particularly fond of the greasy-haired man, having looked quite uninterested in him as he described his "heroic" efforts to avoid disaster at the ruins. She did seem to agree to blame Butch and Cassidy for being unable to take Professor Alden hostage, however, appearing disgusted as they had mentioned the...disturbance in their operation.

"Children," she'd muttered in disgust. "You allowed...children...to defeat...you. Not what I...would expect...from former members...of Team Rocket."

The mention of Team Rocket had put Butch and Cassidy on the defensive, knowing that they were distrusted in Team Archaic because of their ties to the other organization. Of course, Courtney had never really shown any ill will about that fact, having been a Team Magma member prior to receiving her own position. They did need to be careful, however, with Team Archaic members such as Viktor always on the lookout for anything that could be considered treachery. And, of course, he never let them have any acknowledgement for their successes.

"If not for me, they might've been arrested," the man had said, handing over the fossils as Courtney had boarded a helicopter which would be taking her to headquarters, where Darwin was currently conducting tests on the Regice he now held.

"Perhaps...they need...someone else...in charge...of them," Courtney had answered, glaring at the man. It had been some small satisfaction for Butch and Cassidy, although the former Team Magma member had quickly locked her eyes on the pair. "Find out...what these...children...are up to. We don't want...an Ash Ketchum...situation. As for...the Professor...we don't...need him...just yet. The police...will be on...high alert."

And with that, she had left, Viktor crying out about how his orders had been clear and that any failure was Butch and Cassidy's fault. Of course, his cries were either unheard, or simply ignored, and Courtney had soon disappeared into the air with her helicopter. After that, Viktor had been called into the hideout, presumably to make a report to one of the admins there, who would relay the message to Darwin before Courtney arrived.

Butch and Cassidy, however, were ignored, left to wait for their next orders. With little to do, they had gone into the hideout and decided to rest up for whatever mission would be next. It was a far cry from their Team Rocket hideouts, with little to do, and much less respect from the grunts that were supposed to take orders from them. Fortunately, by the next day, Viktor had received his next set of orders and had called upon them for their next mission.

"We're sending you after those kids," he'd said, smirking at the poorly hidden looks of irritation on their faces. "I'm not sure why, but Darwin seems intent on it. Zinnia's been sent to track the older one, who seems to have left their little group, but you'll be responsible for the younger ones."