Chapter 27: Coordinating With a Fiery Charm

Author's Note:

Greetings, Poliwags! Hope everyone is doing well. Just a little note before we get to the chapter. I've recently set up a little Substack blog at (poliwagempire dot substack dot com). I'm using it for things like posting some notes for an original story I'm piecing together, along with some other stuff in the future. Currently, I'm re-posting Gotta Catch That One on there every Monday, Wednesday and Friday for a little re-read/read-along. If you're interested, please check it out. I've been cleaning up the old chapters on there to remove typos and wording issues I was much worse with back in 2016 so it'll hopefully read a little better.

Anyway, as for Bonnie, last time, she had a sparring battle with Anita and Lisia showed up on the scene to ask Bonnie to participate in the Slateport Contest. Not only that, but she'll be participating with Torchic from Professor Birch's lab! Should be crazy, so hope you enjoy!

Chapter 27: Coordinating With a Fiery Charm

Bonnie definitely didn't intend to get herself involved in a Pokemon Contest so quickly. If she had planned on entering one, she would have probably preferred planning to participate a few days before it started so that she and her Pokemon could work on a routine. Of course, that would be assuming she was using a Pokemon that belonged to her.

"Torchic! Torchic tor!"

"Treecko tree!"

"Hey Bonnie! That's not fair!"

"Huh?"

Bonnie blinked curiously as she brought her attention back to the scene in front of her. Immediately, her eyes widened as she noticed Torchic chasing after Clyde's Treecko by firing an Ember attack at his feet as he attempted to get away. It seemed as though Bonnie's Contest partner was a little too eager to get underway with their training session.

"Torchic, stop it!" she called out, hearing the frustration creeping into her voice. She did like Torchic, but she could already tell it was going to be difficult to work with. With the idea of entering this Contest not even being her own, it was a little frustrating not getting to enter with either Dedenne or Wingull, and then having an overly excitable Torchic barely listen to her. Their earlier sparring match with Anita appeared to be a bit of a fluke.

"Chic!" the Chick Pokemon responded cheerily, stopping abruptly and turning to face Bonnie. It hopped over to her a moment later, looking up at her and tilting its head curiously. "Tor?"

The frustration left fairly quickly at that look, and Bonnie felt the urge to squeal. She managed to restrain herself somewhat, and merely giggled. "Aw, Torchic, you're so cute!"

"Zzt! You were just mad at it!" Rotom cried out from next to her.

"I wasn't mad!" Bonnie said indignantly.

"Zzt! Your face looked like this!" Rotom said, flashing a red face on his screen.

"It did not!"

"Yes it did!

"Hey guys! Are you going to get to training? Contests are hard work, you know!"

Bonnie jumped at the overly cheery voice of Lisia. The famous Coordinator didn't look angry at Bonnie's distraction, but she did appear somewhat impatient. Bonnie really had no idea why Lisia had been excited by her brief sparring match with Anita, but it had apparently made her quite motivated to see Bonnie participate in the Slateport City Contest. She'd even offered a private lesson, with Clyde's help, while Anita and May were training elsewhere. Roxanne and Professor Birch had gone to see some more of Slateport City in the meantime.