Chapter 22: An Experiential Expedition

Author's Note:

Hello all. Sorry for the gap in uploads. This was a tougher chapter to write and...it got long. Should be pretty intense, though. Hope you enjoy!

Chapter 22: An Experiential Expedition

"Sawyer!"

Bonnie wasn't sure if it was simply the sight of an old friend, or the relief of finding someone to help her and Roxanne out of their predicament, but she felt like the happiest person in the world in that moment. She ran forward immediately, hugging Sawyer as soon as she reached him. He seemed a little surprised by her enthusiasm, but smiled widely as she stepped back.

"I didn't know you missed me that much," Sawyer said, looking amused as he glanced back at his companion, a tall man in a black suit, with icy blue hair. Bonnie knew exactly who he was, of course.

"Bonnie, it's very nice to see you," said Steven Stone, the Champion of Hoenn, grinning as he tucked a magnifying glass away in his pocket. "When Aron came in here to warn us about the Team Archaic members his friends had captured, he seemed a little worried. That's when we realized some innocent trainers must've been caught up in the mess. Our little setup was a little flawed I suppose. Seems that Onix got involved, huh?"

Bonnie frowned, looking up as Roxanne came forward to join her. "You mean...you set a trap for Team Archaic?" she asked, suddenly realizing why the entrance had been left open. "You had the Aron ready to capture them?"

"We planned all of it out with Officer Jenny," Sawyer said, opening up his notebook and showing Bonnie some sketches of the cave, with arrows pointing out different places to draw in Team Archaic and where different groups of Aron could be placed. It seemed quite thorough. "We knew they'd be after the fossils, and we knew they'd find a way to get in through different entry points. We have a few other tricks planned for them as well, but we'll see if those are necessary."

"Oh my, you certainly had things worked out quite well," Roxanne murmured, looking over Sawyer's notes. "I had no idea Granite Cave was this complex with its various passageways."

"Sawyer's really smart with this kind of thing," Bonnie said, grinning as she noticed her friend looking embarrassed by the praise. "He knows how to plan everything out." She then looked to Sawyer, gesturing to Roxanne. "This is Roxanne by the way. The Gym Leader from Rustboro City. She decided to travel with me and my friend Clyde." She paused as Roxanne and Sawyer briefly shook hands. "Sawyer was Ash's rival in Kalos," she explained to the Rusboro Gym Leader. "They faced off in the semifinals at the Kalos League. And Steven...well, you know who he is."

"It's very nice to meet you, Sawyer," Roxanne said, nodding to him. "I'm sure you must be quite the trainer to have made it to the semifinals in the Kalos League. And to be Steven's assistant...that is certainly impressive."

"Sawyer's got a good head on his shoulders that's for sure," Steven said with a grin. "He's a great help for this kind of thing." He nodded to the wall behind them. "Actually, Roxanne, from what I hear, you're quite a knowledgeable one yourself. Ever heard of Primal Evolution?"

"Oh yes," Roxanne said, stepping forward and glancing at the wall. "From what I hear, it was part of what led to the events a couple of years ago with Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza."

"Indeed it did," Steven said. "Obviously it's quite similar to Mega Evolution, but I'm very interested in its connection to fossils. As you know, we've found quite a few around here, and with this monument to Primal Evolution here, I wonder if..."

Steven trailed off as he led Roxanne further along the wall, pointing out various things that seemed to be inscribed on it, while explaining what they'd found with the fossils during the excavation. Apparently Sawyer felt it was fine to leave them to it, though, so Bonnie stayed behind with him. She knew Roxanne would share any important details with her later if she needed them.