Chapter 3: The First Rival

Author's Note:

Here we are with chapter 3. This one has a lot, and hopefully it doesn't seem too rushed in terms of all that's in it, but I don't want to make this a 300 chapter story. Hope you enjoy!

Chapter 3: The First Rival

When Bonnie's party had finally finished, she, Clemont and Meyer returned home, Serena and Grace joining them for the night. Apparently both of them had known that Meyer had planned to give Bonnie a ticket to Hoenn, and were planning on being there to say goodbye at the airport. It made Bonnie realize that Serena was probably a little better at keeping a secret than she'd originally thought. Of course, when they'd all gathered around the TV later that night to watch Ash's Alola League final match, she was clearly ecstatic to see their friend battling it out onscreen. She wasn't the only one, though.

In the back of her mind that day, Bonnie had been a little upset that Ash couldn't be there for her party, having wanted some kind of advice from him before she would set off on her journey. However, seeing him battling it out, desperately trying to achieve his dream, it was almost more inspiring. She was sure he would've come if he'd been able to, but this battle was extremely important for him, and his Pokemon. It was evident with every attack he called, and every execution of those orders by his Pokemon.

"By my calculations, Pokemon trainer Ash Ketchum has a sixty-two percent chance of winning this match!" Rotom called out excitedly, as Ash managed to defeat his opponent, Gladion, in the fifth battle of the match. His Lycanroc, an orange, dog-like Pokemon with white fur extending out like a mane, had managed to earn a dominating victory over Gladion's own Lycanroc, which was apparently some other form, looking feral, with red eyes and red fur. The match put Ash in the lead, with only two of his Pokemon unable to battle, while Gladion was down three.

"Ash looks like he's doing really well," Serena commented, clutching the blue ribbon Ash had given her back when they'd been in Coumarine City. "I really hope he wins."

"Maybe you can congratulate him next time you see him on an escalator," Bonnie said, smirking at her friend as she turned bright red.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Grace asked in confusion, looking between the two, clearly not understanding.

"Bonnie!" Serena hissed.

They watched the rest of the battle without any more taunts, and as it drew to a close, Ash and Gladion both came down to their last Pokemon, with Ash's Lycanroc falling to Gladion's Silvally, a strange looking four-legged Pokemon with silver fur on its head and front, but somewhat scaly on its back. From what the commentators were saying, it was a one of a kind Pokemon. Bonnie just hoped it wouldn't be able to beat Pikachu, who was Ash's last hope.

"De nenene," Dedenne whispered, as Pikachu leaped forward in front of Ash, ready to fight another all or nothing battle. Bonnie knew Dedenne would be watching closely, just as she would. Both of them wanted to learn as much as they could. Tomorrow, they would begin their own journey to get to where these two were right now.

Of course, the final battle didn't disappoint. Ash and Pikachu knew each other too well to let this strange other Pokemon be an unbeatable threat. They used speed and quick thinking to give themselves the best chance they could, with Pikachu instantly giving them the edge with a couple of well timed Quick Attack and Thunderbolt strikes. Silvally and Gladion were definitely tough, though, using their brute strength to even the score a little, with Pikachu getting thrown back by a brutal Crush Claw attack.

As the battle raged on, Bonnie grew more and more excited, Dedenne, and even Rotom, joining in as she cheered Ash on. With each attack, she almost felt more and more pulled in, like it was her battling. One moment, it was Pikachu hitting Silvally with a Quick Attack and a Thunderbolt, but in the next, it was almost like seeing Dedenne, sliding back from a Crush Claw and leaping up to deliver another bolt of lightning. And as Ash called his attacks, Bonnie saw herself standing there, hearing the crowd cheer her on as she urged her Pokemon on.