2 - The Flannel Sheets

The night Colt moved in…

"So are you ready?"

"Ready?" Colt echoed, lifting our plates and bringing them to the sink. 

I stood in the doorway, admiring his broad shoulders and the way his back muscles rippled as he turned on the faucet and began scrubbing the dishes. "You don't have to do that," I laughed, approaching him slowly from behind.

He peered over his shoulder at me, smirking. "Of course I do. You cooked, I clean. That's the deal. Everybody knows that the cook doesn't clean, butterfly."

I moved around him leaning my hip against the edge of the counter as I watched him work. "Why do you call me that?"

"What?" Colt feigned innocence. 

"Butterfly."

Colt trailed his tongue along his lower lip as he focused on scrubbing the last of the lasagna from the glass pan. "It's stupid," he replied softly. "I don't think I should tell you."

I watched him carefully, choosing not to push the subject. I decided to file it away and ask him again some other time. In this light and from this angle, I could see more bruises on his jaw and neck. Without realizing it, I reached for his discolored skin, running my fingers over four round marks that looked about the size of a hand around his neck. His head fell forward and his eyes squeezed shut. "Don't."

I snatched my hand back, suddenly feeling incredibly guilty for not being able to control myself. "I'm sorry, I…"

Colt shifted around to face me, his eyes searching mine. "I didn't mean you couldn't touch me," he whispered, pulling my hand back to his neck before he let his own hand fall away. His eyes lowered to the floor before he added, "Don't pity me. I hate that."

I stepped closer and gazed up at him. "I'm not, I just…" I paused and sighed. "You're right. I was doing that. I'm sorry."

He cocked his head and smiled down at me. "I'm not mad, Corri. I just don't want you seeing me that way."

He glanced away nervously and I was thankful for the break in the intense eye contact. "Let me show you your room. Follow me."

Colt trailed behind me as I led him down the hall leading back to the garage. I pointed out the washer and dryer. "Feel free to use it whenever you need to."

I watched as he grabbed a small duffle bag and then followed me up the stairs to a small loft we used for guests. I opened the door and switched on the lights, immediately noticing how stuffy and warm it was. There were two small windows, one on each side of the room. The full size bed was placed at one end with a futon and TV on an oak stand at the other.

"Here's the bathroom. It's just a toilet and sink but it's yours. You'll have to use the one in the house if you want a shower or bath." I checked under the sink for soap and toilet paper before turning to find Colt blocking the doorway.