7 - We Can't Go Back

"You okay?"

"You okay?"

I blinked repeatedly as Josh waved his hand in front of my face. My concentration was for shit ever since Corri agreed to go to dinner with me tonight. He had been trying to get my attention for a while now, but all I could think about was Corri.

"What's going on with you today? Everything okay with Charlie?" Josh pressed as I tried to focus on the repair job in front of us.

"I bet he's got a certain girl on his mind," Joey called from his office before sauntering out to join us in the bay.

"A girl?" Josh echoed. "What girl?"

"The girl who just returned from Seattle yesterday," Joey provided with a mischievous gleam in his eye.

"Wow. Gossip much? How do you even know that?" I scowled as I returned the radiator cap and shuffled around them to start the engine.

Five years ago, the neighbor twins had encouraged me to come work for their dad in his auto repair shop. A year ago, when John wanted to retire, Joey took over the business side and Josh became head mechanic. I was promoted to manager and we had been enjoying working together ever since.

"Corri came home?" Josh gasped. 

"Of course she did. Her dad is sick."

"She hasn't been home in…"

"Six years…"

The three of us grew quiet, the two of them quickly realizing I didn't want to discuss the last time we had seen her or why she hadn't been home in so long.

"She's staying at the house?" Josh prodded.

I nodded and began putting our tools away. "She told me she's not going back to Seattle."

They glanced at each other and then at me. "Well maybe you guys can talk…"

"Maybe you can work things out?" Joey added hopefully. 

I shrugged, rubbing my hands with a red rag from my back pocket. "We'll see," I retorted noncommittally. "What's next? This Pontiac is done."

"Lunch," Joey instructed. "I called in an order down at Paul's. Who's going?"

I strolled into our favorite diner and glanced around before heading to the counter. I caught sight of blonde waves in my peripheral vision, causing me to immediately snap my head in that direction. 

"Colt!" Ally called from across the diner, waving me over to the booth where she sat with Corri.

I got the attention of one of the waitresses, alerting her to my arrival and letting her know I had a to-go order and that I'd be waiting in the booth. "How's it going?" I asked casually as I approached them.

I leaned down to give Ally a quick kiss on the cheek, noting how much her pregnant belly had grown. I held a tentative hand over her bump, smiling when she covered my hand and guided it to the curve. "I've only got two more months to go," she announced proudly.