32 - Birthday Boy

I groaned as I felt the bed jostling, voices whispering in our semi-dark room

I groaned as I felt the bed jostling, voices whispering in our semi-dark room. It was still early, barely any sun poking through the curtains. I rolled my groggy body toward the sound of Kash speaking to his dad. 

"Come on, Dad. It's not that early," Kash sighed. 

I lifted my head and scooted into Colt's arms. "Someone is up early this morning. Wonder why?"

Kash's little shoulders fell in defeat. Did he really think I forgot?

"I just…" he stammered. "I was too excited to sleep."

I hummed in amusement as I dragged his Jurrasic Park pajama clad body over Colt's and tucked Kash between us. "What in the world would you be excited for today?" I teased.

"Corri," Kash whined, his brow crinkling a little. 

"Are you excited because it's Saturday and you don't have to go to school?"

"I like school," his quiet voice countered. "All my friends are there."

"Ohhh," I added exaggeratedly as I snuggled him in my arms. "So you must be excited to spend the day with me and your dad then."

He groaned again and buried his face in his dad's neck. "Come on…" he pleaded with his dad as I could barely keep from laughing. 

Colt could only shake his head and smile. "Is there something going on today that you have to be excited about?" Colt prodded.

"You really don't remember?" Kash frowned, his gaze bouncing between us.

Colt and I glanced at each other with furrowed brows and curious stares. "I can't think of anything…"

Completely exasperated with our little joke, Kash stood up in the middle of our bed and began bouncing. "It's only the best day of the year!"

"Christmas? Easter? Fourth of July? Halloween?" Colt and I took turns calling out each holiday. 

"No!"

Colt reached up and pulled his son into his arms. He pressed a kiss to the top of his messy blond hair and sighed deeply. "Of course we know it's your birthday, buddy. We could never forget that."

Kash squirmed against us as we peppered his neck with tickles and his body with hugs. I couldn't stop the huge grin on my face as I watched them laugh and laugh until tears leaked from their eyes. Once we caught our breath, Colt sent Kash off to the kitchen with a promise to make some special birthday chocolate chip waffles and Kash couldn't have been more ready. 

Once the door closed, Colt was rolling over me, pinning me down with his muscular body and forcing my eyes to meet his. "Thank you," he murmured before letting his lips find my neck.

"For?" I prompted, tilting my head and enjoying the feel of his kisses on my skin.

He hummed wistfully from deep in his throat. The sound was growly and gravelly from sleep. I held my breath as he dusted little love bites down the column of my throat, slowly making his way to my t-shirt covered breasts.