30 - Before I Let You Go

"Corri…" I sighed, my voice gravelly just from the sight of her

"Corri…" I sighed, my voice gravelly just from the sight of her. Fuck, I had missed her. "I really fucked up."

Corri's eyes grew wide as she took in the sight of me. I'm sure I looked awful with my clothes soaking wet and I couldn't hide the fact I'd been crying. I have been crying for days now. 

Anytime I wasn't drunk or had a drink in my hand, I was crying, even if no one could see it. Katrina wouldn't listen to me, her walls were up high. Nothing I said made a difference to her, she was dead set on me never seeing our son again. Her son, fuck. I would never get used to thinking he wasn't mine. I've known for years but it didn't matter. I've always treated him...loved him like my own boy.

For days I had contacted Katrina and was met with nothing but resistance. Hell I even pretended to be into her for a minute, even though it made me sick. I was so desperate to get her to listen to me, I would have done almost anything. Almost. I hated thinking about how I needed to tell Corri about this. 

I wanted Corri. I've always wanted Corri.

She didn't deserve me pushing her away or declining her calls and not coming home for days on end. How could she even forgive me? I was left with a huge hole in my gut when I considered that Corri may never forgive me. And that thought had sent me walking through a thunderstorm just to see if I still had a chance. 

Now I had to find out if I killed what we had before we found our happily ever after.

"Corri," I breathed, my words coming out in a whoosh as I crouched down by the side of the bed. She lifted the blanket off of her body and shifted until her legs hung over the edge. "I don't know how everything got so screwed up."

Corri's brow furrowed with concern as she reached for my face. I let my tired eyes fall closed, savoring the warmth of her touch. 

"Colt," she gasped softly. "Your skin is freezing."

When she pulled her hands away, my eyes snapped open. She stood up, wobbling a little and reached for my hand. I let her tug me up to stand as well. I wanted to grab her up and hold her against me, but she was right, I was freezing. 

Numbly, I followed her into the ensuite. Her hand released mine and all I could do was watch her. I held a small amount of hope when I saw her reach into the tub and turn on the shower. She faced me once more, peering up at me with concern. "You need to get in, Colt. We gotta get you warmed up," she stressed when I simply stared at her and made no move to get into the steaming shower. 

She sighed and then let her eyes drift over my body. I was wearing a zip up hoodie over a tee-shirt and a pair of basketball shorts. It had been warm out earlier, but the rain had made the air chilly and she was right, I was so cold.

I opened my mouth to speak, needing to tell her how sorry I was for pushing her away when all she wanted was to help me. But the words wouldn't come. I didn't even know where to begin to tell her how badly I had screwed this up with Katrina and more importantly, with her.