15 - She's Not You

My eyes followed Corri as she slinked out of the garage and back into the house

My eyes followed Corri as she slinked out of the garage and back into the house. I couldn't ignore the subtle swish of her hips in those short shorts (fuck me) or the way she never looked back at me before ducking into the house. Shit! 

I was still cradling Kash tightly in my arms and he was embracing me just as hard. He had been timid at first, but I had chalked it up to the time and distance we had been apart. Six months didn't seem long to an adult but it was a decent percentage of his life so far. I didn't try to take it personally when he held back at first, but something clicked and we were back to the way we had been before they left.

"God, you're pathetic," Katrina spat. "Nothing changes with you. Still living in this garage, still pining after the princess, still wasting your life."

I stood, lifting Kash off his feet and tickling him a bit as I did. I held back all the things I could have said to her out of respect for Kash. "Why are you here? What happened in California?"

Katrina rolled her eyes and sighed dramatically. "Things didn't work out."

"You said you were getting married," I reminded her.

"I...he...we just weren't good together," she huffed.

"You cheated?"

"No!"

I held her gaze until her eyes snapped away. "We just weren't compatible."

"He got mad when you wanted to see other guys?"

"Not everyone spends their life chasing a high school sweetheart." Her tone was shitty and condescending, but I chose to ignore it because at least I had Kash back in my life.

"So was there some other reason for this visit or did you only come to insult me?"

Katrina flicked a lock of her dark hair over her shoulder and tossed me what I guessed was supposed to be a seductive look. When she leaned close to me, I made no bones about the fact I didn't want her.

The girl I wanted just walked away from me...again.

Katrina scowled at my reaction to her, quickly changing gears to her second favorite subject. "Well I just got back and I could really use some help…"

I groaned at the thought of her staying with me. "Absolutely not. You can't stay here. Corri is back and Charlie is sick."

"Oh my God, Colt. I'm not asking for that. Kash and I are staying with my aunt."

"Oh," I gasped, suddenly embarrassed that that was my assumption. My mind probably went there because the thought of doing anything that could cause more of a rift between Corri and I was impossible. "So what then?"

She cocked her head and sighed. "Well you know Kash could always use some new clothes."

I nodded and placed him back on his feet so I could dig into my pocket. I retrieved my wallet and gave her all the cash I had. "This is what I've got for now, but I can get you more later."