8 - Good Life

Spring, Colt's Senior Year, Corri's Sophomore Year

I groaned as I stretched my arms over my head, feeling exhausted as well as thoroughly beaten by the day I'd had. After my shift at the junkyard, I spent the rest of the evening training at the gym. I was gearing up for my first big time fight and I was throwing everything into my workouts.

I had parked my truck on the street and was trudging up the driveway when I noticed the car parked in front of the garage. Even in the dark I could make out two people in the front seat with their arms around each other. Like a punch to the gut, I heard the undeniable sound of lips smacking and soft, breathy moans. 

Her moans.

My duffle bag fell from my fingertips as I raced to the driver's door and yanked it open with fury. "Get your fucking hands off of her!" I demanded, dragging his body away from hers and slamming him against the side of his own car.

"Jesus, Colt! It's me!" Jason howled as I slammed my fist into his gut. He doubled over from the pain and only then did I notice I still had one hand gripping his hair while the other hand was balled into a fist and ready to strike again.

I felt Corri's hands curling around my bicep and tugging hard. "Colt! What the hell did you do?"

I let my arms fall slack as I turned to face her. She shoved me in my chest and rushed to Jason's side. He was gasping for air with his hands on his knees when she slid her hand over his back and rubbed circles. "I'm fine," he grunted, raising his head to meet my gaze. 

I stood there motionless as she wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him in  for a tight hug. Corri peered over his shoulder and glared at me...hard. I couldn't stand there and watch her kiss his boo boos. And I couldn't apologize and say I didn't realize it was him.

I knew. They had been going out on dates since November. It didn't seem very serious, but I still punched him in the eye for that kiss on her birthday. He confessed that he liked her...a lot. But he didn't want to fool himself because he knew she liked me more. I didn't feel that. Sure I would catch her watching me and I loved all the sweet little gestures that let me know how much she cared, but I could never reciprocate. I needed to keep my distance for Charlie's sake.

So when Jason suggested that him dating her would be better than her ending up with a guy like Beau, I had to agree. But every time I saw them together, it killed me. It started with him sitting at her table at lunch. Then there were the times I'd found them in the basement, snuggled up on the couch watching movies. I'd never seen him kiss her before tonight. 

It affected me worse than I thought it would.

I spun around on my heels and stomped into the house, not even pausing when Charlie told me to stop slamming doors. I was still fuming with that image seared into my brain. He had his hand on her neck and his mouth fused with hers. I hated it. I hated that I couldn't be with her like that. And she was so brazen to kiss him in the driveway when I could so easily discover them.