18 - All I Need is You

I groaned as I hauled myself out of my truck

I groaned as I hauled myself out of my truck. I trudged up the stairs to my loft apartment and headed straight for the bathroom. It was late and I knew I needed a shower, but I was too much of a coward to face Corri. This wouldn't go over well with her.

I asked her to wait up for me and the look she gave me? Fuck, I'd been dying to see that look for years now. Her eyes were bright and excited. She nibbled her lower lip and I could feel she was anxious for me to return. Hell, I had been dying to get back to her.

And I must have revealed that Katrina when I took Kash home because she did everything in her power to keep me from my girl. Now it had been hours and how could Corri think anything but the worst of me?

I slumped over the small sink, scrubbing my face and brushing my teeth. As I moved toward my bed, I stepped out of my jeans and whipped my shirt over my head. I was completely exhausted. 

Tomorrow I would have to convince Corri that staying at Katrina's was the last thing I wanted. All I could do was cringe when I thought about how Corri would handle it. Things between those two were already so volatile. Corri had every right to resent her and Corri seemed to bring out the worst in Katrina.

Like tonight, Katrina had let Kash stay overnight with me dozens of times, but suddenly now it was a problem? More than likely, it was Katrina's possessive side coming out. It was the one I'd seen many times before like when we would take Kash somewhere together and another woman would take interest. Her proverbial claws would come out, warding off anyone who dared to give an indication she wanted me.

I was the only one to blame because I never stopped it in the past. I wasn't looking for anything romantic with anyone and so it didn't bother me that Katrina used herself as a buffer. 

But now it was different. I did want something romantic with Corri. Hell, I wanted it all. And Katrina was the one person who could keep us apart.

I fell into bed, my body crumpling from exhaustion. As I stretched out, I felt a soft, warm body beside me. Like a magnet, Corri slid over and burrowed her face into my neck. "Mmm, Colt…" she hummed, causing my whole body to respond. 

I pulled her tighter against me, hooking my fingers behind her knee and wrapping an arm around her back. I sighed deeply, breathing for what felt like the first time since I was with her last. "Yeah, it's me, baby. Sorry I'm late."

Corri immediately stiffened in my arms as though she had remembered something from earlier. She rolled away from and switched on the nightstand lamp, bathing the room in a soft, white light. When she rolled back onto her back, I could see her phone in her hands. 

"It's 4:30am, Colt. Where the hell have you been?"

Her tone was so icy I would've sworn I felt the chills from the other side of the bed. "I'm sorry…" I began as I reached for her.

She jumped up from the bed and stood facing me. It was then that I saw she was wearing a red cotton teddy, nothing overtly sexy as the hem brushed the tops of her thighs, but obviously something she didn't wear to bed when she slept alone. Meaning she wore it for me. Fuck!