17 - When the Truth Comes Out

"So how are you and Colt doing?"

I glanced at my father as I sorted through the mail I had brought from home. "He's fine. I think he's training this morning."

Dad laughed as he shifted in his chair and tried to hide his grimace. "I didn't ask about Colt, honey. I asked about you and Colt."

I shrugged and avoided his gaze. "It's going okay."

"So you're getting along? My house isn't being damaged?"

"No," I scoffed. "Colt and I can behave without supervision."

He nodded, but looked skeptical. "He seems happier now that you're home."

"You've seen him? Alone, I mean."

"I see him everyday."

"Everyday?" I echoed. 

"Yes, Corri. He's been here every single day since I came here to stay."

I thought for a moment about how important Colt was to my father and more importantly how important my father was to Colt. "He asked me for another chance."

"To be together?"

"Yes," I sighed, nervous about how he might react. 

"And you said?"

I walked around his bed, lowering myself on the edge so I could be near him as he sat in the chair close by. "I said...I have a lot going on right now. I have the gym and you to worry about."

Dad chuckled. "The gym will be fine, with or without the new addition. And I'm fine too. You don't have to hover. I'm being well taken care of here."

"I could take better care of you at home. If you'd just let me, Dad. I'd feel so much better if you'd just…"

"If I'd just what?" he interrupted. "Be a burden on you and Colt?"

"You are never a burden!"

My father sighed deeply as he took my hands into his. "I know you want to do this for me, but trust me, this is the last thing you need on your plate right now. I'm comfortable here. They give me the meds I need when the pain gets to be too much. And when it's time for me to go, they'll take care of me then too."

"Dad…"

"I don't want you to stop living your life because I'm sick. Now tell me why you're not giving Colt an answer."

"I just...I don't want him to hurt me again."

"Oh honey," my father sighed with a slight smile on his face. I could see how tired he was, yet he pressed on. "No one has ever loved anyone without being hurt in some shape or form. Even your children can hurt you, even when they don't mean to."

I swallowed back a lump in my throat when I thought of the pain I had caused him in my absence over the years. "But I'm afraid."

"Never be afraid to love. Even if it fails. Even if you don't end up together. It's worth the risk for the short time you have together."