6 - Truth or Dare

"Good morning

"Good morning."

I nearly jumped out of my skin when I heard Colt's breathless voice behind me. I spun around to find him shirtless and sweating in my kitchen, obviously just returning from a run. "Hi."

Colt pulled a towel from around his neck and mopped away the perspiration from his face and chest. That butterfly tattoo taunted me, just begging me to ask questions. He noticed my eyes drifting to his left pec so his hand absently moved that way too. He rubbed over it, sighing a little as our eyes made contact.

"Everyone told me not to get it."

"Oh?" I hummed, feigning disinterest as I glanced down at the skillet of scrambled eggs on the stove.

"My friend told me it was worse than getting your name permanently etched on my body."

I could feel the tingles spread throughout my body when Colt sidled up beside me. I tried not to shudder when he wrapped one of my blonde curls around his finger. "I guess they didn't realize that Colt Anderson does what he wants, huh?" I murmured softly.

I finally turned and gazed up at him, his body close and my hair still in his hand. He dropped it quickly, as if he had only just then realized he had been touching me. "I don't always do what I want, Corri."

His tone was wistful and sad. It made me want to push him around the kitchen and demand those answers I needed.

Like we couldn't we ever make it work?

Like why did he keep pushing me away when it felt like he wanted me just as badly?

Like why did I still feel all the old sparks even after everything he put me through?

"You made eggs?"

I nodded and began plating some up for him. He looked them over and smiled. "With cheese and salsa? You remembered."

I shrugged nervously and turned my back on him. "I guess I did. I hadn't thought about it. It was just…"

"Instinct?"

I poured myself a cup of hot tea and leaned against the counter as Colt tucked into his meal. Being with him in this house felt so natural. But being this close to him made me crazy. My mind had barely shut off last night when he left me. There were so many times I was sure about how he felt.

The night of his 18th birthday was just the first of many disappointments. He walked me to my door and thanked me for a fun night. But I never got that kiss I wanted. And as time went on, I got more resentful. The way I saw it, Colt and I were perfect for each other. I just couldn't figure out how to make him see that.

"Thanks for breakfast," Colt grinned as he cleared his plate and washed up his dish. He mirrored me, leaning against the opposite counter with a mug of coffee in his hand. "So what's your plans for the day?"