9 - Closet Secrets

I took a deep breath before rushing up the driveway with the hem of my gown gathered in my hands

I took a deep breath before rushing up the driveway with the hem of my gown gathered in my hands. Relief flooded me when I glanced up and saw Colt's bedroom light was on. He was home and I needed him more than anything. 

At the prom it was all I could do to let him walk away from me when Jason asked to cut into our dance. Jason's arms didn't feel as good as Colt's had. I couldn't stop thinking about how Colt had waited until I was alone and then pulled me into a dance I could tell he had practiced for.

I dashed up the steps to the loft apartment and eased the partially cracked door open a bit more. Colt was splayed out on the bed with his shoes kicked off, shirt missing and his pants undone.

"Colt?" I whispered, approaching him slowly. His eyelids fluttered a bit when I lowered myself to the edge of the bed. "Are you okay?"

He groaned and threw an arm over his eyes. "Corri?"

"He's all worn out. Maybe you should let him sleep."

Katrina's nasally voice was like a dagger plunging between my shoulder blades. Somehow I never counted on her being here. I spun around to find her sauntering toward me wearing Colt's white dress shirt. That was the only thing she was wearing. And I knew that because she hadn't bothered to button it up. 

My gaze snapped back to Colt whose eyes were now darting between Katrina and I. I guess the horror on my face must have been easy to read because the moment I stood up and tried to stumble for the door, he reached for me. "Corri, don't go," he called out as I gripped the door handle. 

But I couldn't stay. I didn't wanna see more than I already had. I felt nauseous with hate. How could he have held me so tightly and stared into my eyes during our dance and then come home and had sex with her?

I dashed back down the steps, doing my best not to trip on my dress. I raced through the house, careful not to alert my father that I was home. It was late and I didn't want to explain what had happened. I bounded through my door, carefully shutting it without a sound. When I caught sight of myself in my full length mirror, my shoulders sagged.

I carefully removed my makeup and unpinned my hair. I was struggling to unzip my dress when I heard Colt softly tapping on my door. "Corri," he whispered. "Let me in."

I was able to lower the zipper and wriggle out of my dress, but I still didn't want to see Colt. I stepped inside my walk-in closet and curled into a ball under my hanging clothes. Maybe Colt would give up looking for me and I could lick my wounds in peace.

I reached up and tugged a t-shirt down from where it hung above my head, yanking it over my near naked frame. A little bit of time passed and I was feeling pretty sure that Colt had given up looking for me. So I was surprised when my closet door eased open and I spied his bare feet beside my balled up self on the floor.