23 - Take Care of Home

I turned off the engine and let my head fall back against the headrest

I turned off the engine and let my head fall back against the headrest. I was worn out, physically and mentally. I had spent the last few hours chasing Kash through ball pits and bounce houses while Corri went head-to-head with Kash on every video game he had challenged her to. I spent way too much on lousy pizza but the smiles on both their faces made up for it.

As my head lolled to the side, I caught sight of my girl, still clad in her workout gear with her disheveled blonde tresses, some covering her eyes. I didn't give her a chance to go home and change after we left the gym to pick up Kash, so she was still wearing the tight workout pants and tank top from earlier. I had to argue with her when she insisted she was too much of a mess to go to dinner with us. I did give her a hoodie from my truck when I noticed the way some of the dads in the restaurant were openly gawking at her impressive backside. She rolled her eyes at me and laughed, but finally tied it around her waist when I persisted.

Of course she wore stuff like that around the gym all the time and most of the guys there were respectful enough not to look, but Beau Bailey was obviously the exception. He was really having a good time at my expense, getting me riled up about what was nothing more than a friendly lunch. My heart had soared when Corri had wanted to tag along with me and pick up Kash. I was nervous at first because Katrina was always to be considered unpredictable and their relationship would forever be prickly, but I had hoped I could diffuse any situation that might arise if it meant I would be able to get more time with Corri.

"He's out cold," Corri observed as she peered into the backseat.

I turned that way as well, feeling the excitement of being near Corri when our bodies faced each other. I tucked a stray lock of hair behind her ear and sighed. "I had a good time tonight. Thank you for coming with us."

Even in the darkened cab of my truck, I could see the pink tinging her cheeks. "I had fun too. Kash is such a great kid."

As I pulled my hand away, Corri grabbed it and held it between her palms. I watched in fascination as she pressed a kiss to the center of my palm and then gazed up at me through her long lashes. I opened my mouth to speak, but words failed me when her own eyes fell closed and she began to press more kisses to the top of each one of my fingers.

When she smiled up at me in that dreamy way of hers, I took her chin between my forefinger and thumb and lowered my face to hers. "I'm really glad we talked earlier. It was good to get some of that stuff out in the open. I hate that you would think I don't want you anymore, because that is so far from the truth."

Corri nodded slowly as her eyes drifted down to my mouth. "We should probably do more of that," she paused to run her tongue over her lower lip.

"More of what?" I prompted, leaning in even closer until we were sharing the same breath.

She blinked quickly, almost as though she were coming out of a trance. "Talking," she clarified, but the way she rubbed her lips together and stared at mine, I had a feeling that talking was the last thing we'd be doing.