Chapter 59

Hello! I hope you guys enjoy this chapter!

Maru obi: The most formal obi (a belt-like cloth that wraps over a kimono) that often goes with formal kimonos. Modernly worn by brides, geisha, or maiko. Made of silk and is very heavy-set. 

___

Hikaru's POV

Hikaru did not fare well in social situations. But, here he was, in a red kimono with multiple layers. The soft fabric brushed against his skin, and he resisted wiping at a bead of sweat that dripped underneath his mask. 

A noble clad in a silver and gold kimono stood near him, chatting with another noble in the same colours. There were a few more colours-- some white, some black. Others were a dark blue and some were yellow with fancy designs that Hikaru didn't care for. 

Hikaru adjusted his mask one more time, standing tall next to the Fire Daimyo. He was wearing a purple and black kimono tied with a black slik obi. He was wearing the standard daimyo headpiece, round eyes lazily flickering around the room. 

A few woman-- mostly his mistresses-- were by his side, talking with eachother or to the daimyo. 

Hikaru adjusted his kimono sleeve, glancing around the room. There was one person in particular that stood out to him-- a man in a gold kimono that was taller than him, and had approached the table earlier. Hikaru had seen him set something down and had immediately grown suspicious, so he had a clone who kept eyes on him. 

Hikaru's eyes danced around the room, the music and the chatter equally loud. He was currently at a ball that he'd been hired for, and his scars were 'nessacary' so Hikaru was unable to hide them. 

Uncomfort swelled inside of him as another noble in a black kimono glanced over, their eyes lingering too long on the scar across his neck and the mask upon his face. Hikaru, unfortunately, had been the only one hired from Konoha. The rest were samurai that patrolled the room, a few on the opposite side of Hikaru. 

"Daimyo-sama, is that your guard?" The noble he'd been keeping an eye on walked up to the table again. His skin was golden in the chandelier light, hair a dark brown and swept into a ponytail. He was suspiciously built even underneath his gold kimono. 

"Hai. Meet Kitsune-san." The Fire Daimyo guestured to him, and Hikaru had to fight back a groan. How was the other able to rule the Land of Fire when he very obviously pointed out his guard?

But, then again, Hikaru had been told to remain seen at all times. And it wasn't like he didn't have at least two clones chilling somewhere in the ballroom. 

"Nice to meet you, Kitsune-san. I'm Daichi." The man bowed towards him, and Hikaru forced himself to bow deeply back. 

"Pleasure to meet you, Daichi-sama." Hikaru said automatically. 

Wait... Daichi? That name shouldn't be as popular... I've met, what, three of them?

Now that Hikaru thought strongly about it, the one standing in front of him had the same facial structure as the Daichi from Konoha. And the same--

Oh.

Oh shit

Hikaru fought to keep himself calm as he connected the dots. There was no proof that this one was the one from Kiri as well. Zero proof, but Hikaru would keep a closer eye on him than normal. 

He watched Daichi chat with one of the Daimyo's mistresses, a nice, young lady in a indigo kimono with a maru obi. Hikaru had caught her name earlier-- what was it? Asami? Yeah, Asami Sugiyama or something similar to that.