Chapter 13

Hello! I know I'm posting a lot, but I've found a whole bunch of prewritten chapters in another folder that took me a few days to find- honestly, I thought I was going to have to rewrite all the way up to chapter 20.

__________________

Kakashi's POV

To be honest, Kakashi had grown attached to Hikaru since meeting him. At first it was merely curiousity that made him approach, but later on that curiosity had formed to somewhat of a friendship with the other man. Kakashi didn't have many he considered friends- almost none except for maybe some in ANBU; however you have to be careful cause they could die any second and Kakashi really didn't need anymore heartbreak- so Hikaru was lucky to be one. 

However, when the man had gotten into a panic attack, Kakashi was almost, almost confused. Hikaru had seemed fine to him, or, at least, not as dark to warrent concern. So Hikaru remained a mystery, because no matter how hard the jonin tried- although he didn't really try, per say- Hikaru would not open up, would not give any sort of hint. 

Normally, this would pursuade Kakashi to get frusterated or pry. Yet Kakashi kept watch for something that he knew was hidden in the younger man, knew it like the back of his hand.

It clicked from off-handed comments, odd movements, weird pauses that Hikaru would make. The looks, body language, everything. Kakashi had it almost figured out; Hikaru didn't get much sleep, wasn't eating much, suffering from an overactive mental state. But so many questions arose from his answers to Hikaru's odd behavior. 

Why was he not getting enough sleep, or eating? What had happened to make his mental state like that? Now, Kakashi knew he would never even hope to get the answer to the last one, because background stories for shinobi was like trust. Extremely hard to earn, very easy to lose. 

So Kakashi left it alone, except it wouldn't stop plauging him. Following him around almost as much as his ever-present guilt. So, once he gathered up the courage, he decided to finally use both of his favours. 

He half-expected to lose Hikaru as a friend and teammate. He also half-expected to be kicked out once he asked. A small, tiny part of him was joyous when Hikaru looked like he would answer once he asked his questions. 

He didn't expect the level of honesty from Hikaru. Obviously, the younger jonin skipped the truth on some things, he just didn't know what. So the answers shocked him. 

Hikaru had been on the frontlines in the war as a genin. He'd lost his entire team at once, and while Kakashi had slowly lost his teammates and his sensei, he didn't know what would happen if everyone was killed at once. Especially if it was his own jutsu- he winced at the thought of Rin's blood on his hands- that killed them. 

But there was a sparkle in Hikaru's eyes, his cheeks filled out, something wrong because he shouldn't look like this after the conversation. 

Then it hit him. The jonin, younger than him, used a henge too keep people from noticing. Smart, but also stupid. 

So he demanded that Hikaru dropped the henge, because Kakashi's curiousity ate at him and he needed to know the extent.

Well, he didn't really need too, exactly, but it was hounding him. And, hey, he was already pushing his luck, right? Why not test the limits, lose someone he kinda trusted?

But, once again, he was utterly NOT expecting this. 

Hikaru looked like he was going to fall over dead in a few seconds. He shouldn't have been sitting, let alone standing. His purple eyes were a dark, angry colour with bags and stress lines underneath them. His hair had gotten white at the roots.