Chapter 52

Hello! I hope you guys enjoy the chapter!

Recap: Hikaru's delirious from the fever he has, and Kakashi, Sakura, and Sasuke are currently taking care of him. 

___

Hikaru stared at Kakashi, who stared right back. Confusion was evident in both of their body postures, as well as in Hikaru's eyes. 

Hikaru looked back at the colour of his hair before turning back to the room. It was different, somehow, now that he was upright and somewhat awake. There was an ANBU mask hanging up on the wall, one that looked increasingly familiar but not at the same time. 

"What season is it right now, Hikaru?"

"Winter. Why?" Hikaru asked, tilting his head almost childishly. Did Kakashi somehow loose his memory or something? Well, win for him, but that would only make things increasingly more difficult for Hikaru and his teammates. Especially because Obito was on their tail and would be here sometime in the next few months. 

"No reason."

Silence that consisted of Kakashi being lost in thought and Hikaru trying to figure out where he was. The room did look a bit more familiar the more he looked at it, but not from the bed. 

Wait... 

Bed?

Hikaru glanced down at the soft, unscathed mattress. He blinked quite a few times. 

"Maa, is something wrong?" Kakashi asked, and Hikaru briefly met his eyes. 

"Ah. I didn't know we were able t' find a bed, th't's all." Hikaru mumbled, rubbing sleepily at his eyes. "Must've been work."

Kakashi didn't say anything. 

Hikaru felt his ears grow hot as he was continuously stared at, and he eventually turned away from Kakashi, staring at the wall. His fingers popped as he moved them, crossing his arms uncomfortably over his chest. 

Why did Kakashi suddenly have a staring problem?

His fever-addled mind raced, trying to claw at the sudden familiarity of the room. 

And he was exhausted.

"What's the last thing you remember?" Kakashi eventually asked. Hikaru looked over. 

"You, Sasuke, Sakura, and I setting camp. Then I told you guys that I felt sick, and Sakura looked exasperated." Hikaru explained, before freezing. Suspicion swelled in him, and he turned sharp eyes at Kakashi. "Why?"

"You should head back to sleep." Kakashi said instead of answering him. "I'll be here when you wake up."

Somehow, there was an underlying meaning to the last set of words. 

Hikaru just watched Kakashi with narrowed eyes for a second, before laying back down. He got comfortable in the cold blankets, before his headache started up again. 

He yawned softly, his joints aching as he curled into himself. 

Hamasaki's finger trailed down his cold cheek, setting wherever she touched on fire. Hikaru tried to move away, but he was stuck firmly in place. 

He didn't want her touching him. Not after... that. Not after that. 

But he couldn't bring himself to protest out loud- last time he had, she just kept doing it. And doing it. And repeating it over and over and over until he hadn't even had his voice. 

A hand that was not his own pulled the blankets over him a little more. 

A soft smile at Hikaru's lips, and then he was asleep.