Chapter 30

Hello! I hope you enjoy this chapter!

__________

Hikaru knew Zabuza would attack in the morning. However, he did not expect to wake up an hour late- nothing would happen for about half an hour, but it was not enough time to properly prepare. 

So here he was, standing in the standard ANBU gear, his mask slightly askew on his face as he rushed through the town. He'd slipped into a henge only moments before- the air was slightly off, however chilly it was, and Hikaru just knew something would go wrong.

But here he was, his footsteps loud against the street, a mist hanging in the air that slowly became more chakra-infused the further he got towards the bridge. And whether he liked it or not, Hikaru's heart was pounding and his body was shaking slightly. 

He knew why Kakashi had been slightly scared of Zabuza in his timeline- the killing intent was heavy, but it was nothing Hikaru wasn't used too. But he knew that his younger counterpart would be terrified, no matter how strong of a face he'd put on, and his teammates would also be fearful. 

He slid around the corner and onto the bridge, a moment too early or late he didn't know. Zabuza appeared at the same time Hikaru did- a kunai in hand, dark brown eyes blazing with fury- and then the two were off. 

There were others on the bridge that the genin began evacuating, the fear on the small bridge high. Hikaru jumped back from the shrieking of metal on his too-sensitive ears, adrenaline making his hands shaky. 

He thought he'd been prepared-

Hikaru dodged a blow, bringing up his kunai to deflect it, swinging up one of his legs to kick Zabuza. The other avoided it, and Hikaru felt only a minute surprise before quickly leaping back towards Kakashi. 

"The genin should take care of the mob that's heading this way." Hikaru said to Kakashi, who nodded. 

"Okay. Fend Zabuza off, I'll be right back." Kakashi disappeared with a swirl of leaves, heading towards brightly-coloured blobs in the distance. 

Hikaru saw Zabuza turn towards them, and he wouldn't let that happen. Zabuza would kill his genin without a second thought, if only to serve revenge for Haku's death. 

Hikaru tossed a kunai at Zabuza, the other quickly deflecting it and facing him with what Hikaru assumed to be a sneer on his bandaged face. A shriek of metal on metal resounded, and Hikaru winced. 

Dodge it-

Zabuza swung his sword at him, and Hikaru jumped on the flat of the blade, quickly pulling out a kunai and tossing it towards Zabuza's shoulder. Zabuza turned as Hikaru used the blade as a springboard and leapt off of it. 

Hikaru raised up a kunai, his hands shaking with the adrenaline that pumped through him. He was scared, he'll admit it. He didn't want his genin to die, and this Zabuza would do that.

Silence. 

Then another shriek of metal as a blade swung toward him. Hikaru moved slightly to the side, grabbing the blade with chakra-infused fingers, pulling it closer to him. Zabuza was no idiot. However, he held onto the blade with one hand and performed a jutsu with another. 

"Water Style: Water Bullet!" Zabuza called out and Hikaru let go of the sword. Kakashi appeared by his side, his Sharingan up and going. Hikaru knew that he could do this alone, but there was a comfort in Kakashi by his side. 

Hikaru glanced towards Kakashi, only to find him swiftly copying handsigns. The two called out a jutsu Hikaru didn't care to recall. 

He jumped to the side again as more water bullets raced towards where he just was, flinging kunai towards Zabuza. They pierced through him, but there was now a puddle on the ground.