Chapter 61

Hello! I hope you guys enjoy this chapter!

Hakama: A skirt-like cloth people wear over their kimonos. In this context, it's a plain grey one for men. 

___

Hikaru blinked. 

And then he was sitting down, being served tea. 

Confusion slammed him in the face, followed by sighing softly and thanking the person who served him. He glanced around, looking for a clock, wondering how much time he'd lost this time. 

He went home in five days, right? Hikaru hoped so. He missed Kakashi-- and Naruto, of course. And Sasuke. And Saku-- wait, Sakura was dead now. He'd almost forgotten, especially with the chilling reminder in front of him. 

Asami and Jiraiya. 

Why was he sitting with both of them? He had no idea. He couldn't find a clock-- did he have his mask on, still?

He reached up, his fingers brushing against porcelain. He sighed in relief, before drinking the piping hot tea through his mask. Hikaru pretended like it hadn't burnt his tongue. 

"So, as I was saying, how do you two feel about being in a platonic Icha Icha book? Best friends since childhood sort of thing. And, since Asami-chan is. . . Well, we all know. But since that's happening, there would be this other guy that represents death." Jiraiya started saying, sliding a piece of paper across the table. "You--" He pointed at Hikaru-- "Would get 1/6 of the profit. And your profit, Asami-chan, would go to the Daimyo."

Oh. 

Oka--

Wait, what the hell was Jiraiya talking about? Him? In an Icha Icha book? What the--

His mind whispered that Kakashi would definitely read it. At that thought, his heart painfully skipped a beat. Kami, he missed his best friend. 

Because that's all they were. Best friends-- nothing more, nothing less. 

Or so he told himself. 

Hikaru found himself nodding in agreement. Jiraiya started explaining the plot, eyes widened in excitement. They were both listening intensely- Asami's blue eyes shimmering in a way that reminded him too much of Sakura once again. 

The day ended with him crashing to sleep in an elegantly made bed, his mask firmly on his face although it was highly uncomfortable. 

Only five days left. Before that, there would be a ball-like meeting. The final one, fortunately. Then Hikaru would be able to go home and see Kakashi again. 

His heart warmed at that, a slight smile on his lips. 

In all honesty, Kakashi had helped him through so much. Almost too much-- he was there for Hikaru's overwhelming anger, his depression, him breaking and breaking and breaking like a ceramic plate thrown one to many times. 

It was then that he, cradled in the dark of the room, remembered the war. 

Back then, he'd been a lot more... unkind. Not quite the person he was today. But, then again, it had been three or four years since then. And he still hadn't gotten everything done that needed done, but he was starting too. 

And he would

His eyes closed, but he couldn't sleep. 

His mind was whirling with mystery. Hamasaki knew about his past, and so did Itachi and Tenzo. He'd either have to kill them-- which he was relucant to do-- or swear them to secrecy. Minus Hamasaki. He'd enact payback on her even if it was the last thing he did.