11.4 - Azula

Azula had thoroughly enjoyed the spas and getting pampered in the nice warm room. She came out feeling much better, especially after the snowball fight. She'd missed action like that – if nothing else, hunting her brother and the Avatar had given her an excuse to use her bending and combat skills. Surely there was another way to duel people without having to hurt them...hmmm.

After a small lunch, Katara helped them dress, and she did their hair in long braids with some pretty ribbons and beads. Sokka came too, apparently, he'd learned to do Katara's hair as a kid, and wanted to practice too.

Katara did Ty Lee's hair first, in two long plaits with colourful pink and red ribbons, while Sokka braided two small plaits on either side of Suki's face, attaching little beads to each. Mai was next, and Katara pulled her hair into a long plait down her back, with gold and red ribbons through it. 

Then it was Azula's turn. Katara pulled her hair into two braids from the top of her head, all the way down. It sort of hurt as she pulled the strands into place, but Azula refused to complain. When she was done, Azula checked out her reflections in the mirror, admiring her hair. Katara had woven bright blue strands through her hair, as well as little white beads, that made it look like snow had fallen on her hair. It was beautiful.

Kiyi begged to have her hair done like Azula's and Katara laughed, obliging the girls wishes. Sokka got annoyed that he didn't get another chance to try braiding someone's hair, so Azula suggested he try and do Zuko's. Her brother had been growing it out, and it was just past his shoulders now.

Sokka's eyes had lit up in excitement and they'd all laughed as he raced out of the door. Once the girls were all finished, they thanked Katara again, before heading out to the festival.

They met up with Aang and Sokka, making their way through to the large space at the edge of the city where strange rides and stalls had been set up. They arrived at the large stage, finding Zuko and Hakoda giving each other pointers. Right, the speeches.

Soon the space began to fill with excited guests, who began browsing the food stalls, and hopping onto the rides. Hakoda told them all to go have fun, they would meet back at sunset for their speeches.

They headed off in a big group, Ursa making Kiyi and Azula promise to stay together all night. The girls agreed, deciding to start at the rides. They went for a ride on a huge wheel, pointing out the stalls they wanted to visit from way up high. Kiyi and Ty Lee convinced Azula to join them for a race down the slides, and Azula won...obviously. Kiyi raced pretty much everyone down those silly slides, but she was having fun.

Mai and Sokka had a competition to see how many stuffed animals and toys they could win at the various stalls, and with their impeccable aim, they remained evenly matched. Eventually, Kiyi, Suki and Katara could no longer carry their stash, so they called it a tie and handed out the toys to little kids as they went.

They also tried some of the different food stalls and Azula was overjoyed to find one that was selling traditional Fire Nation food – oh how she'd missed the spicy taste of home.

Eventually, the sounds of music found them, and they gravitated towards the small dance floor, laughing as they tried to copy the water tribe dancers, and failing miserably.

Too soon, the sun dipped to the horizon and they all headed back towards the stage, where Hakoda and Malina waited for them. They exchanged stories about what they'd gotten up to, and Azula found herself chatting amiably with Malina and Mai about a sweet stall they all wanted to return to. Hakoda even listened to Kiyi babble on about their snowball fight this morning, laughing and gasping at all the right moments.

He was rather strange, though she was beginning to realize that he was actually...genuinely...nice. She knew he was still wary of her, considering she had tried to kill him, and his children on multiple occasions. But in spite of that, he'd welcomed her into his home, his tribe... Perhaps...not all fathers...were bad.

Where's Kaya when you need her...

Kaya. She would love all of this. Azula could have kicked herself for not inviting her.

Eventually they had to move off the stage, and they assembled near the stairs.

Hakoda cleared his throat, and the people fell into a hush, "Good evening, I want to welcome you all today to the opening of the Southern Water Tribe. The Hundred Year War took a great toll on our tribe, but thanks to Avatar Aang, Fire Lord Zuko, and of course, my wonderful children Sokka and Katara, the war was ended and a new era of peace has begun. Tonight, is a night of celebration and remembrance. We remember the loved ones, traditions and time we lost. But we also celebrate the new beginnings it has brought, the peace and change."

The crowd cheered, and Hakoda welcomed Zuko to the stage.

"Good evening, I'll begin by thanking you all so much for graciously inviting us into your home. It is such an honour to be here as a friend to the Southern Water Tribe. I can never apologise enough for the pain and suffering my family and nation has caused you, but I am here to promise that it will never happen again," Zuko seemed to stop for a second and Azula wondered if he was alright. "Thank you again, and enjoy your night!" Zuko finished quickly.

He rejoined his friends and family at the bottom of the stairs, where they congratulated him and began to pull him along to the next activity.

Azula fell into step beside him, "You okay?"

"I just...looking into their eyes up there..." He paused, so she gave him a moment. "I know that the war affected so many people. But seeing it...it's like opening up an old wound again."

Azula considered this. She'd never really cared about her nations impact on the world before, and she still didn't feel as empathetic towards them as Zuko. But she could understand. Zuko felt an immense guilt for his family's actions, and she realised he felt it for hers too. He'd said as much when he'd been attacked a few days ago on the beach. He didn't know how to 'protect' her.

Azula wondered what it would be like worrying about that all the time. It seemed too much.

"Zuko, it doesn't really matter what happened in the past. We don't live there. We live here, in in the now. They have to do the same. We all need to move on and keep working towards the future," Azula was no philosopher, but she thought that sounded nice enough.

"Yeah, I suppose. Maybe I can ask Uncle," he sighed.

Azula didn't like the sound of that, but Sokka pulled him away for something or other before she got a chance to say anything. Azula and Uncle had never gotten along, and she was happy to leave him far, far away.

Kiyi tugged on her arm then though, distracting her as they went to see some benders dancing. Their routine looked almost like a battle, with their elements swirling towards and around their 'opponents'. Azula missed combat bending so much, it had just been so fun. Duelling Zuko was okay, but he was busy so much, and her other bender friends were hardly around – they were always too busy doing other things. She would just have to get Kiyi up to standard so she could practice with her.

They partied well into the night, hoping to stay out until midnight to watch the Fireworks. Ursa had begrudgingly allowed Kiyi to stay up and return home with Azula and the others later on, and Kiyi had squealed with delight for a solid five minutes. 

Azula had certainly grown closer to her younger sister, and she loved teaching firebending, and helping Kiyi prank Zuko. It also didn't hurt that Kiyi was pretty much obsessed with her older sister, wanting to dress the same, talk the same and firebend the same as Azula. Azula loved having her as a partner in crime, but she also felt better knowing she could help Kiyi escape their mothers over-bearing nature.

At around midnight Katara and Sokka had led them to their little watchtower, and the friends all piled inside, enjoying the view of the ice-city from above. Kiyi was not used to being up late at all, and was practically falling asleep by the time the fireworks began, so Azula hoisted her sister up onto her back.

They oohed and aahed at the fireworks until they finished, and collectively decided to head home before they all passed out right there.

Azula fell asleep with Kiyi beside her, dreaming of firebending amongst the fireworks.  

**************

Hey y'all, this week has been intense, so I hope you still enjoyed the chapter. 

Don't forget to vote if you did, and I'll see you all next week.

p.s. what shows/movies are you watching at the moment? I'm kinda bored haha