1.4 - Suki

As they walked to the dining hall, Suki noticed how Azula's eyes seemed to dart around the place. She's searching for threats...

Suki kept an eye out too, but reminded herself that she had walked these corridors a thousand times. Some of the other Kyoshi warriors joined them, chatting, laughing and catching up on what they'd missed while they were away.

Suki was so proud of her warriors. They had started as a small band on little Kyoshi island, but during her travels, Suki had taught so many more girls and inspired them to join their cause. They had warriors all around the world now, benders and non-benders alike. It was apparently an unspoken agreement that Suki was their leader, and she was honoured to meet the new recruits and groups. They all seemed equally excited to meet her, though she was still getting used to the fame.

Ling stepped up beside her, "We just received word from the South Pole warriors. Rebuilding is going well and they have already recruited two young girls. They are very excited."

Suki grinned, "Of course they are. That's wonderful news Ling. Thank you."

Ling nodded and dropped back to join in with the other girls.

"Rebuilding in the South Pole?" Azula asked nonchalantly.

"Yes, Sokka and Katara are helping to unite their tribes and the beginnings of a new city are underway. It's quite spectacular. Or, so I've heard, I haven't yet been able to go."

"Of course not. You've been too busy hunting me."

Suki spun to her, but Azula didn't so much as blink. Play your games, Suki thought, they won't work on me anymore.

Zuko had warned her about Azula's tactics, but Suki had had plenty of experience while at the Boiling Rock. Azula liked mind games and being smarter than everyone else. She had spent hours taunting and playing with Suki, bringing news of the Avatar's death and telling her that her friends had given up. That they wouldn't be coming for her. The constant stress and fear of her had made it a nightmare. Everything had turned out okay, when Sokka and Zuko had rescued her, but her fears hadn't gone away overnight.

When Zuko had come to her about bringing his sister home, she had been hesitant. Suki wasn't one to hold grudges, but this was Azula.

He had opened up to her, about their father, mother and their childhood. Suki had been horrified to hear about how they both seemed to be loved by one parent and scorned by the other. To hear about how Azulon had ordered Zuko's death after Ozai tried to ascend the throne. To hear that Ozai had been the one to burn Zuko's face in a horrific Agni Kai.

Zuko had told her about their father's...disciplinary methods, in which either child could be beaten at a second's notice. To hear about how Azula had been forced to be Ozai's favourite...or risk being treated like Zuko.

Suki hadn't been able to hold back her tears as Zuko told her these things, and she had begun to see Azula differently. Although she hadn't exactly forgiven Azula, she was beginning to understand her better. A few days later, she took up Zuko's offer and went to find Azula.

The girls arrived at the dining hall to see Zuko chatting with Sokka and Katara while Toph and Aang seemed to be in a heated discussion about something or other. She led Azula over to the group and they all sat down together and began to eat.

Azula's eyes widened at the food and she immediately dug in, shovelling the food into her mouth as quickly and lady-likely as she could. Suki smiled as Sokka sat beside her and began telling her about his latest project. He called it a 'canon' and Suki followed his ramblings as best as she could.

Suki reached for some more dumplings and saw Zuko watching Azula from across the table. She was eating quickly, still eyeing her surroundings cautiously.

Sokka leaned in close, "How was your trip?"

Suki turned to him, "It went about as well as it could have. Not too long, thank goodness. I'm just glad to be back."

"Yeah I'm glad you're back, I'm just not too sure about our sparky-friend over there. Do you think she's gonna start blasting at us anytime soon?"

"Not if you don't give her a reason to," Azula said without looking up from her plate.

Suki jumped in before either of them could make it worse, "Azula, Sokka, I don't think you two ever formally met. So uh... Sokka meet Azula and Azula this is Sokka."

"Pleasure," Sokka grinned.

"Indeed," Azula replied, bored. 

"How are you enjoying the food Azula?" Zuko asked from the opposite side of the large table. Unfortunately, everyone else seemed to quiet down in response. Suki hid her grimace, Come on girls...

"Its marvellous dear brother, tastes just like home." Azula held his gaze coolly.

"I'm glad to hear it, I will send the cook our regards. And how was your trip?"

"Oh you know," she smiled darkly at Suki, "surrounded by old friends. It was wonderful. Though I am a little offended, you only sent six of your little warriors to come get me? I must be losing my touch."

Zuko didn't take the bait, "Hopefully it won't ever have to happen again."

"Hmmmm," was Azula's only response as the two stared off at each other.

Aang seemed to recognize the tension in the room and cleared his throat, before rising. Azula moved back as if preparing for a fight, but Aang simply bowed to her, "Hello Azula, I don't believe we ever...formally met either. I am Avatar Aang. I am honoured to greet you..." he looked up warmly, "as a friend."

"Well, we'll see about that Avatar Aang. Do tell, how is your back? Lightning can be quite painful." Katara's eyes narrowed and the water in the cups around the table seemed to tremble. Azula seemed to be trying to pick a fight. Zuko placed a calm hand on Katara's arm and she backed down. Slightly.

"Azula. I am glad to have you back, but I would ask you to treat my guests with respect. We are not your enemies. Please do not make us into them," Zuko said firmly.

"Whatever," her honeyed voice returned, "If you'll excuse me, I'm going to bed. Travel can be so exhausting."

"I'll escort you," Zuko said, rising quickly.

She paused, but regained her composure quickly, "Of course Zuzu."

***********************************************************

Hey guys! Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed!

Don't forget to vote for each part, it helps to get the story out there so more people can see and enjoy it!