13.1 - Azula

Azula loved combat bending. She hadn't thought of an exact name for it yet, but she loved the feeling of bending again. Having to anticipate your opponent's next move, crafting new strategies and maneuvers to win: it was awesome. She rather enjoyed playing with Katara and Toph too, she'd never really thought about it until Zuko had said it, but they probably were some of the best benders of their elements. Azula didn't hide her smug smile.

She, Zuko, Kiyi and Ty Lee were almost back at the Fire Nation, ready to return to their real lives. Azula had never really had a vacation like that before, where she'd truly enjoyed herself. It was invigorating.

They docked and disembarked, all four of them piling into a carriage. Azula had had a few extra weeks off, but Kiyi had been busy at school and with her training, and her little sister had a thousand stories to tell her about all of it. Azula didn't mind listening, she was determined to let Kiyi have a better childhood than hers, and if that meant listening to her ramble about the instructor's silly face while he was concentrating, then so be it.

Ty Lee chatted with Zuko about Mai, and Azula found herself eavesdropping a little. Mai had finally moved in it seemed, and though her mother was still a pain, she'd loosened up a little with all the hospitality and royal-ness of the place. Zuko seemed really happy too, recounting a story about the two of them getting flour everywhere? He was grinning like an idiot though, and that was good enough for Azula.

"Are you guys going to get married too?" Kiyi squealed, cutting her story off mid-way.

Zuko's eyes went wide as his face reddened, "I... Well it's a bit soon to...say, but..."

Ty Lee exchanged a look with Azula and Azula rolled her eyes. Ty Lee flung out her arms, "Of course they are! Just not yet, Sokka and Suki first, then Mai and Zuko."

Kiyi looked up at Ty Lee with sparkling eyes, "You really think so?"

Ty Lee nodded firmly, "Oh yeah. I'm always right about this stuff."

Zuko just rubbed at his temples as the girls laughed at his uncomfortableness. It wasn't long until they were pulling into the palace courtyard then, to an excited welcome party. Azula recognised Ursa, Mai, Noren and Ling, but...was that–

"Uncle!" Zuko called as he climbed out of the carriage. Kiyi followed him rushing over to hug Iroh too, but Ty Lee waited with her.

Azula found herself fixated on Iroh. He was still pudgy, his long gray beard was trimmed neatly and his hair was in a neat top-knot on his head. He looked the same as he'd always done: small, weak, useless.

"Azula, you know it's really bad for my hair when you start heating up the air. It goes all frizzy," Ty Lee sighed.

"Why is he here?" Azula's voice was harsher than she'd expected it to be

Ty Lee started explaining how Zuko invited him for the New Years Party but then he got sick... Azula wasn't really listening though. She knew how much he meant to Zuko, it's why she'd hurt him so many times to get at her brother.

Iroh was her father's older brother. Ozai had always hated that as second-born, he would only be able to take the throne if Iroh was killed. He'd instilled the idea in Azula that despite being second-born, she too could achieve greatness and take the throne like he had.

Azula didn't really remember all that much about Lu Ten, but she remembered how happy her father had been after his death, and in the days following. It had been such a blur, so exciting at the time, and so sad looking back.

Ozai had been ready to kill Zuko, his own son. Ursa had killed Azulon to save Zuko. And she'd been banished. Zuko and Azula had been left entirely in their father's care. Alone.

It was strange seeing Iroh standing there with Zuko and Ursa. Her family... They'd never felt like it growing up, it had always felt like...like there was a huge chasm, and Ursa, Zuko and Iroh had been on one side, while Azula had been stuck with her father on the other. She could never cross over, and she learned quickly that she didn't want to. She saw how Ozai punished them, she learned that being on her side meant she was safe, she was good.

Ty Lee eventually climbed out of the carriage, but waited at the door, arms crossed, "You gonna sit there all day?"

Azula scowled and climbed out, into the sunlight. Everyone turned to her, as she and her friend walked over. Ursa broke into a smile and gave Azula a warm hug and a kiss on the cheek. Noren nodded to her and Mai gave her a smile, not big on hugs. Then...there was uncle.

They watched each other carefully, before bowing to each other. Azula didn't want to, but she knew it would be extremely rude not to. She rose, watching him a moment longer.

"The weather is lovely today, isn't it?" Iroh said good naturedly.

Azula could barely stop herself from fuming, the weather? That was the best he could do?

A fool, that's what father had always called him. His orders to her had been to get rid of Uncle, he was a waste of space, air and energy, and Azula hadn't disagreed. Enemy. That's what Uncle had been... He'd helped Zuko, loved him and helped him win the throne, leaving her in the dust.

Azula tried to contain herself but it wasn't stopping. How dare he ruin her return, her vacation, her life! Instead of exploding though, Azula turned and rushed into the palace, heading towards her room.

She barged through, slamming her door behind her, breathing heavily. But the anger was still there and she had to let it out somehow. Azula picked up the nearest thing and hurled it at the wall. A teacup. How fitting.

The anger seemed to dissipate slowly, leaving her feeling a little humiliated about running away. It didn't matter, if she'd stayed...who knows what she would have done.

"I need to see Kaya," she said to herself. It was the only way she'd get through all of this. 

************

Hey y'all, I hope this week is treating you well!

I also hoped you enjoyed the chapter, it's cool to finally write about Azula and Iroh's interactions, and her thought process.

Love you all and see you next time!!!