3.3 - Azula

The two walked side-by-side, out to the palace gardens. Kaya sat down on a bench and patted the spot next to her. Azula grumbled but sat down and crossed her arms.

"Well? What are we–"

"Shh," Kaya hushed her, "Just look." She pointed to a tree on the other side of the garden. There, a small flock of toucan puffins waddled around on the branches, squawking and pecking at each other. Suddenly, one of them fell, throwing out its wings to slow it's descent, but it still hit the ground hard.

Azula realized that it was a baby, as two larger birds swooped down to land beside it. They nudged the feathery creature, helping it up.

"What do you see?" inquired Kaya.

"Toucan puffins," Azula replied studying her nails. She was already bored and wanted to go back to her room. The birds meant nothing to her, they were just pests.

"Yes, but what is happening?" Kaya pressed her.

"The baby just fell out of the tree?"

"Mm-hmm." Kaya hadn't taken her eyes off them, "Tell me, Azula, what do you think the larger birds are?"

"Is this a joke?"

"No, please just answer the question."

"Ugh," she threw up her hands irritably, "Probably its parents. There. Can we go now?"

"Soon," Kaya waved a hand dismissively. "And, why do you think its parents flew down to be with it?"

"To...help it?" Azula couldn't figure out where this was going. She felt like somehow, she was getting the answers wrong.

"Mmm. And why would they do that? Help it, I mean."

"To ensure its survival?"

"You sound unsure."

"That would be because I am. Do you have a point? Or will you keep asking me these meaningless questions?"

"Patience young one. Yes, parents want to ensure their children's survival. But why do you think that is the case?"

Azula was lost. "Because they love them?" 

Kaya turned to her, "Yes child, because parents should love, care for and nurture their young. Tell me Azula, do you think the love those toucan puffins have for their children makes them weak? Do you think the love the babies have for their parents makes them weak?"

Azula didn't answer.

"Love doesn't have to make you weak Azula. In fact, love can make you strong. Stronger than your fear, anger and sadness. I could tell you of countless times I have seen love prevail through pain, hate, and suffering."

Azula just stared at her. Love doesn't have to make you weak...love can make you strong. It was strange, and she couldn't believe it at all. Love was silly and foolish and it addled your brain.

But...her brain already was addled, and confused and messed up. Love can make you strong... How? How could it make you strong?

Kaya seemed to read her mind as she continued, "Without the love of it's parents, that toucan puffin may have stayed there and died. Azula...from what I can tell, you haven't exactly felt much love from either of your parents. You thought being perfect would make your father love you, and while you didn't talk about your mother, I know she left when you were young. It's not your fault that things are this way. It is sad indeed, but you do have the chance to start over. To start over with Zuko and your mother and to make some new friends. That Suki girl seemed to care about you too."

Azula could only stare at her in shock. I could start over? How would I even do that? She didn't realize she was crying until a hot tear slid down her cheek.

Kaya patted her hand gently and said again, "Love doesn't have to be weakness."

Azula just swiped at the tear.

"Say it," implored Kaya, "Love doesn't have to be weakness."

Azula thought about refusing, but deep down, a part of her, a tiny and silly and weak part of her wanted to believe it.

The words were barely a whisper, "Love doesn't have to be weakness."

***********************************************************************

Hi there! It's me Miss Birdie! Thank you so much for reading up to here... I hope you've enjoyed reading it as much as I've enjoyed writing it. 

Drop a comment telling me what you've like about it so far, and tell me what country you're reading this from!