9.1 - Azula

It had taken everyone a little over two days to recover from the party, from all the food, dancing and the money they'd spent. Everyone had just lazed around, content after the massive party. Azula had also learned that there had been two other festival places throughout the city for the common people to attend. There had also been reports of markets in many Fire Nation villages, showing that people all over the nation had enjoyed their new year's celebrations. 

Today, Azula headed to breakfast with her family, excited to show Zuko her final designs for the home she wanted to build for the girls. She, Sokka and Suki had met with a proper designer, who had been able to draw up their plans and organise the materials and labour necessary to build it. All Azula needed now was Zuko's approval.

Azula arrived to find the room empty save for a single servant who was clearing some dirty bowls. She bowed to the princess, and said, "Your highness, your mother, step-father and step-sister have just finished eating. They told me they were sorry they missed you."

Azula shrugged, "Thank you. Has Zuko come in yet?"

"No, the Fire Lord did say he would be here though."

"Oh well. Thanks." Azula sat and ate her breakfast in silence as she admired her designs again. It was going to be a spectacular home, with plenty of space for fun and training, and lots of rooms so that many girls could stay there. 

"Ah, hi. Sorry I'm late." Zuko plopped down beside her and immediately started shoving food into his mouth. 

"Hi. What's up with you?" Azula asked. She noticed deep bags under his eyes, and his hair which was usually neatly tied back had been haphazardly thrown into a topknot. 

"Work," he said through a mouthful. She raised an eyebrow at him and he rolled his eyes as he finished his mouthful. Once he'd swallowed, he said, "You remember Cranefish town? It used to be a Fire Nation colony in the Earth Kingdom." 

Azula nodded, recalling the little town she'd studied when she'd first returned, "Yeah, Toph's metal bending academy is near there right?"

"Yeah that's the one. Anyway, we thought that all the unrest had settled down, but they're still struggling to get a police force together. My advisers are all being super annoying right now - a bunch of them are still pretty loyal to father's old ideals."

"Ew. Why do you keep them around then?" 

He laughed, "Because it's hard to find experienced people who aren't loyal to fathers ideals. He had the entire nation brainwashed." 

They fell into a lapse of silence, before he perked up, staring at her with a new clarity, "Azula! You could come! You wouldn't have to do much, just give me a little support from time to time." Then his face dropped, "Only if you want to, of course."

Azula couldn't believe what he was saying, "You want me to...advise you?"

"I mean yeah, among other things."

"I... I would be honoured. Are you sure?"

Zuko squinted at her, "I did ask you to do it."

"Yes, yeah of course." 

He chuckled and went back to eating. She just looked at him for a moment longer, it was so strange, their new dynamic. As kids she'd always been the one that he deferred to, even though he was older. But now, she was glad to have him ask for her help. And to go to him for help too.

"Um Zuko, I also finished the designs for the house. We just need your approval, and the funds. We picked out a place and everything." She offered him the papers and he looked them over as he ate.

"Wow, it looks great. Very well, we'll sort it out tonight."

Azula felt her heart swell and she beamed. He laughed and told her to go get dressed for the meeting. 

She practically bounded down the hall to her room, so excited. They were going to build the home, she was going to a meeting to help Zuko, and she was...happy. 

That all stopped when she arrived in her room and opened her walk-in closet.

She'd had her old room redecorated after she'd burned it all, and she liked it much better now.  The walls had been lined with cream wall-paper that had small gold lotuses, and she'd had new lanterns installed to keep the room brightly lit. The entire room was luxurious, her own little haven. Today was no different, and she savoured walking on the plush carpets as she padded over to the large wardrobe she'd had installed. 

Stepping inside, she ran her hands over the beautiful silk dress she'd bought for the party. Hopefully I can get some more soon, she thought to herself as she admired the crowns and jewels she had displayed in a set of glass drawers – some had been gifts, and some she'd picked out at the festival. 

Azula reached the large cupboard at the back of the room where her armour was stored in velvet lining to protect it. She'd opened the doors excitedly, before finally seeing it again. The armour was still in perfect condition as it sat on the mannequin – polished and shined to perfection, the black and gold metal gleamed. 

Her red under shirt and pants had been cleaned, and were folded neatly on a little shelf. She'd worn the armour a thousand times before. But that was the issue. She'd worn it to capture...to kill Zuko. She'd worn it during her father's war meetings. She'd worn it during her Agni Kai. 

Azula reached a hand up, laying her palm on the cool metal. Had that really been her? It felt like a thousand years ago now. She pulled away and shut the doors.

No. I'm not that girl anymore. I'm Princess Azula. I have family, I have friends. I don't need it. 

She went to another rack, and pulled off a knee-length red dress with a black shoulder piece. Then she arranged the matching black arm braces and gold belt, admiring herself in the mirror.

Eventually, Azula realised that she was going to be late if she didn't hurry up, so she pulled on her shoes and raced out the door fixing her hair as she went. 

I hope I don't mess this up...

*****************************

How cool is this artwork?

Anyway, thanks again for reading! You guys are seriously the best!

Don't forget to vote for the chapter and I can't wait to see you next time!